vids and enough knowledge for 70-680

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by shocksl, May 19, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

is there enough detail in vids from like proffesor masser to be able to have enough knowledge to do the 70-80, with ofcourse plenty of labbing. thanks

2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

People will always tell you to use two sources to be on the safe side

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
    shocksl likes this.
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I honestly don't think I would have felt prepared enough having only watched vids, whoever they were from.

Labbing is a must, but I think book-work is necessary to pick up on some of the finer points. Books can be dry, especially the MS Press books I know, but persevere and you'll fell a whole lot more 'ready' when you've read through it.

HTH.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
    shocksl and Xorallius like this.
  4. Xorallius

Xorallius Bit Poster

This is some great advice, I'm currently studying for the 70-680 and I find labbing the most useful, but I find I can learn more with a combination of videos too.

Certifications: BSc: ICT | A+ | MCP (271, 272) | MCDST |
    WIP: MCTS (70-680)
    shocksl likes this.
  5. subliminalsmurf

subliminalsmurf Nibble Poster

Studying for this at the moment. Virtual box and the practices from the press book are extremely useful. I'd recommend at least 80 gig if free space and a virtual machine to work with. Professor Messer videos, as recommended on here, are proving very useful. In fact I've just watched 4.

Certifications: MCITP: Windows 7 Desktop Support Technician
    WIP: 70-686 - Started the same day as passing 680
    shocksl likes this.
  6. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you veryyy much guys. I really aprecaite the advice. So what are you all doing , just watching the vid and then reading the relevant chapters? or are you watching the vids and then at the end will read the book.

Also subliminal, do you not find prof messar vids, rushing through it, and lacking detail (ive only watched the 1 vid tbh). I'm feeling that the train signal might have more detail? and spends more time explaining each concept? whats your views?

7. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

From past experience (A+ & N+) I watch the video and then study the chapter. I find a fairly detailed 15minute video is a great introduction to the chapter I'm about to study. Read and take notes from the book, do the end of chapter questions and finally consolidating that chapter into half a page of digestible notes. I would re-read those notes next week to help retain it.

I've never watched Train Signal, but Prof Messer did a great job getting me though A+ & N+ so I'm used to his format and have faith he knows what he's talking about. I just wish he'd do one of his Study Groups (webinar) for the 70-680!

I would also add...tonight I've just finished making my way through Don Poultons 70-680 book and feel I've still got lots of work to do!!

Labbing is certainly the way to go. Virtual Box is fab.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
    jvanassen, Boffy and shocksl like this.
  8. jvanassen

Andy pretty much hit the nail on the head, i did exactly the same as you for the A+ and N+ and passed them both with no problems so intend to do the same with the 70-680 like you.

Maybe if we find somewhere to ask him and enough of us do he will do one

shocksl likes this.
  9. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks for the replies guys.

Well i for 1 never did any A+ N+, I am going straight through with the 70 680. Do you guys think I am jumping the gun a little bit? or shall i stick to it?

and btw only half a page of note per chapter???

10. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Haha I asked him that question on Facebook last Wednesday...he would love to but has a busy to-do-list. I say post a message anyway...shows people are keen.

If I'm honest I found the A+ & N+ was certainly beneficial to do before the 70-680. Why? The 70-680 touches & overlaps areas found in both exams e.g TCP/IP, Disk Management etc (probably N+ more), it's a solid underlying foundation. Also, I developed my study routine, got my mind into learning/exam mode again (been years since my degree!).

Don't let that put you off, if your committed and put the work in, of course the 70-680 is doable. You get out what you put in.

a) watch video & take notes
    b) read chapter & take LOTS of notes
    c) Lab Lab Lab
    d) combine, condense & cram both into concise half/page of notes (leave out the crap & what you already/don't need to know...depends on the chapter)
    e) go back and re-read a week later to refresh.

This is what works for me. Develop your own shorthand and use acronyms...you'll be writing right click thousands and thousands of times.

I hope that's of some use. Ugh nearly Monday.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
    shocksl likes this.
  11. subliminalsmurf

They're split up into smaller chunks than CBT Nuggets and seem so far to be extremely helpful along side the book. The thing with the Professor Messer ones that I like over CBT Nuggets is that there's very little off-topic stuff. The CBT Nuggets are awesome but there's a lot of content in there that I don't feel the need for.

Anyway.. For what they are (FREE) the Professor Messer videos are extremely useful to have. Especially when you're working and only have a 15 minute window to get some studying done at your desk waiting for something to install or waiting for a laptop to update or something. ;-)

Even if you're using them for review, I'd recommend having a watch through all of them.

There are some resources also available on Microsoft's Virtual Academy. ;-)

shocksl likes this.
  12. jvanassen

Got to agree I had both the CBT Nugget and professor messer videos for my Network+ and felt the CBT ones were a bit long winded and babbled on a bit.

subliminalsmurf and shocksl like this.
  13. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Thank you soooooo much for your time to respond to my query! It is extremely helpful.

I have decided to do the A+ instead now as alot of people are recommended that as apposed to the 70-680 as it should equip me with more knowledge to get into I.T, and so I'm told.

But this info will be great in order to prepare for that exam. thanks again, i will now need to research on study material for A+

Thank you soo much for the little I have seen they do seem long.

I am now however doing A+ instead as for the reason above.

thanks

Xorallius likes this.
  14. subliminalsmurf

Yup yup. Do we really need to know how to take a picture of star trails? No. ha!

Shocksl - good luck with the A+ cert dude!

15. Xorallius

Xorallius Bit Poster

Seems like a good idea to go with the A+ first, a lot of people seem to recommend that as a starting point.

Not sure about the N+ though, I don't feel the need to go for that until I've gained more work experience personally.

Hope your studying goes well... :)

Certifications: BSc: ICT | A+ | MCP (271, 272) | MCDST |
    WIP: MCTS (70-680)
  16. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you soo much guys..

do you recommend any study materials/ format for the A+?

17. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Yeah get cracking on with it and let us know how you get one.

shocksl likes this.
  18. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you soo much guys...

some people have recommend me to buy GTS Learning Books for the A+, what are you lots takes on it. And can somebody direct me as to where to get it from?

:)