Video: They shall not pass - this bill!

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Video: They shall not pass - this bill!

More than 100 demonstrators protested outside parliament yesterday against the passage of the Digital Economy Bill, adding support to more 12,000 who have writen to their MPs to voice their unhappiness'.

The controversial bill contains clauses that could lead to internet service providers blocking websites and customers for alleged illegal file-sharing.

Many of rhe protesters, led by Open Rights Group CEO Jim Killock, had taped tbeir mouths and carried blacked out posted to symbolise what they saw as the music industry's attempt to censor the internet.

See the article here.

Do you agree or disagree with this? Do you see this as the "western"/"business" version of internet censorship that's happening in China or is this the proper way of dealing with piracy? Is it the case of forgetting about "innocent until proven guilty" or a better preventative method?

Who knows.... We will have to wait and see :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Len
      Len
      I disagree with it but wouldnt be too bothered if it did pass. Just means I have to change a few settings and i'm fine.
    2. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      There are certainly valid uses for file sharing sites... but most of them aren't used for those valid uses. It's not a case of "one bad apple" spoiling it for everyone else... in fact, it's a bushel full of bad apples spoiling it for one or two good apples.

Copyright is copyright. I'm tired of seeing my work be stolen. Shut 'em down.
    3. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      The concept I have very little problem with, shutting people out of using the internet who abuse file sharing is fine by me. As BM says, copyright is copyright. The digital economy bill however scares the living crap out of me, at least in its early stages it read just as badly as most anti-spam legislation or the EUs wonderful anti-cookie regulation.

If the regulations make it clear a) what is acceptable and unacceptable b) who has powers of discovery and enforcement and c) what evidence must be presented before enforcement action is taken along with the appeals process etc then shutting down those who steal copyright material is fine by me.