Video Learning?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ropenfold, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I'm currently revising up for the A+ exam, what are people's views on video learning? Theres a few CD-ROMs flying around on ebay, £12 isn't a lot if it helps me while I'm revising....

Has anyone took the plunge on anything like that?:blink

Approved - Boyce

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome :D

Not sure how good video learning would be, yes you would get a visual aspect of whats happening but do you learn the actual concept?

Hands on experience is better if youre studying for the A+ like me then get the A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC technician street smarts by James Piles and an old pc from a junk shop or recycling centre.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I've currently got a Mini Tower PC which is getting all sorts of Frankeinstein Experiments conducted on it!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I like to learn visually my self. Helps with a lot of questions, but dont just you visual material to learn something, you need theory which books have. A good way to learn something is to use both videos and reading material.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

£12 thats rather cheap....

Ebay Link

CBT Website Link

be careful whose pockets you are lining, a lot of dodgy people on ebay, and ebay could not give a funk as long as they get paid.

On a side not I was thinking of buying the MCDST cbt nugget, just wondering if anyone has used this and what they thought of it?

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  6. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

that cant be legal. I use Learnkey myself, i find it a brilliant way of learning and have used it for my A+, CCNA and my first MCP

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

What are you referring to that cannot be legal? Are you referring to the listings on ebay?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

He probably means the products themselves. As far as I am aware most products like that don't have transferable licenses so it's not actually legal to sell them second hand at a reduced price. That or they will just be out and out pirate copies for that price.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That is correct. For example, here's CBT Nuggets licensing terms, bolded for emphasis (link):

So keep that in mind when you're buying computer-based training products online from anyone other than the original vendor... From a legal standpoint, you might as well just pirate the material, because using it second-hand is just as much against the licensing and copyright restrictions as pirating it. Not that I'm condoning either... Mikey doesn't like it when people steal food from his children's mouths... :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

Yes, thats exactly right! be careful, what you think about buying, and make sure you read the license agreements on the original vendors site, if your unsure about anything.

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  11. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I used CBTNuggets for my MCSA/MCSE, since I wasn't in a production environment while studying. My lab was the real deal (before VMWare/VPC ;) ), and I used the CBT's to supplement my usual 1 tome + 1 ExamCram per exam. That way, I was triangulating into the exam, rather than leaning on one book. In order of importance:

LAB work-->Tome(Minasi's 2000 server in my case)-->Technet/Labmice/other-->CBTNuggets-->ExamCram2

Top it all off with a Transcender.... BAM! I know it's a lot, but knowing that I wasn't a full time admin, I had to get AS MUCH of the pie as I could :blink

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE