Very simple question.

Discussion in 'Software' started by kensaundm31, Nov 25, 2010.

1. kensaundm31

kensaundm31 Bit Poster

When you boot and log into the domain controller, does it matter at all if you log into the local machine or the domain?

'Cos up to now I have been logging into the local machine, cos i didnt expand the dialog and see.

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You cannot log onto anything other than the domain on a DC, what version are you using, 2003,2008?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm 99% sure you can log on as a local administrator.....

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

There's no Local Admin on a D.C only the Domain Admin.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Very true. You learn something new every day.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. kensaundm31

kensaundm31 Bit Poster

Im running 2003 R2.

I have been logging in as administrator on the local machine.

Then one day i pressed the options button and realised i have not been logging into the domain. There are 2 entries local and domain. But maybe I remembered the choices wrong. Ill check...

Allthough I did know that on client machines you have to change from the local to domain.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Local SAM is not used on a DC so you are unable to authenticate to a local administrator account, you're still logging in as the domains "administrator" account which has builtin access to the DC during dcpromo. Only exception to the rule is safe mode for directory restores and the like.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. kensaundm31

kensaundm31 Bit Poster

Yes of course your right.

This happened on a member server, not a dc

I thought it would be the same for dc but as you say there is only domain logon.

Cheers