Very confused in what to take!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by JonDaDon, Jan 23, 2006.

1. JonDaDon

JonDaDon Bit Poster

Hi all, having passed my A+ im beginning to realise that to get a decent job im going to have to get Microsoft certified as this is the requirement for so many jobs.

Have been looking at the microsoft site and various others and im confused!

To become a MCP what exams do i need to take. Im looking at a hardware/software break fix type job somthing like field service or in house (definately no call centre work for me thanks!) technical support.

Is there a standard few modules that you need to take??

Thanks

Certifications: A+ Hardware and Software Passed :D
    WIP: Considering a few
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sounds like the MCDST might be the one for you. Two seperate MCP tests (70-271 & 70-272). It's more oriented to software than hardware though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi,

To become An MCP you need to pass one Microsoft Exam.

The MCP exams all count towards a higher Microsoft certification, see here

You can take any Microsoft exam that you like to become an MCP.

8)

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

As Simon points out you only need to pass one Microsoft exam to become an MCP. Doing the MCDST and passing one exam would get you an MCP then passing the second MCDST exam would also then get you your MCDST cert as well as the MCP.

The thing to consider is first you need to do certs that are going to progress your career but also ones that will give you the knowledge to do the job. Personally you may want to go down the Network+ route which compliments the A+ and is a natural step after the A+. Don't jump into certs like MCSA/MCSE too quick as I think it does more harm than good if you don't understand the basics first.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. JonDaDon

JonDaDon Bit Poster

Yeah I have purchased the Network+ book last week, should be coming soon.

Once stuck into this and passed (will have to give myself about 3 months) will look into the MCDST as modey suggested. Seems to be spot on with what im going to do.

Thanks for the advice ppl :D

Certifications: A+ Hardware and Software Passed :D
    WIP: Considering a few
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hmmm... I don't know how much background you have, what your study schedule is like, i.e. how much time you are devoting to studying, or how smart you are in all things computing, but that's a pretty ambitious schedule. Subnetting alone can take many people a week or two, or more, of part time studying, so a total of three months for all the knowledge required by a Network+ is really pushing it.

Now, this next part isn't directed at you. It's a general statement about studying. Any usage of the word "you" is meant in the generic sense, not you, JonDaDon.

I'm really uncomfortable when I see people saying that they are going to give themselves only a short amount of time to do a very intense course. Why? The intent of any newbie going into the certification routine should be knowledge first, certification second. The type of knowledge that will stick with you and be helpful in a work situation is the knowledge you get by actually working hands-on with the concepts until you thoroughly understand them. If you don't book knowledge will not get you very far in a job.

Knowing answers to questions is a poor substitute for knowing how to do the job. A person can answer questions correctly on a test and not have a clue as to how to put that into practice when they are sitting in front of a computer hooked into a network and they have a problem to figure out. However, if a person can do the job, they can answer the questions on a test too.

The goal of all certification should not be certification. It should be a thorough understanding of the issues and concepts at hand. That will give the noob the knowledge they need in the field, and get certified. Setting tight timelines is not a good way to make foster that mentality, that way of looking at things.

Now, that being said, someone with a 200 IQ, and a natural aptitude for computing, can do many of the single certifications such as network+ in a fairly short time span. You're the only one who can know your own situation and your own capabilities. Just be sure you aren't shortchanging yourself in the long run.

If anyone has the time to learn things twice, which is what they will be doing if they study just for certification, they have the time to learn it right the first time.... They will just be doing it after they lose their first job or blow a bunch of technical interviews because all they could do was answer questions on a test....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1