VBA Password recovery

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Nelix, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi All

I have just come to look at a project that was put on hold about 6 months ago and can't remember the Password to access the VBA modules :oops: , does anyone know of any software that will help me out here, I dont really want to pay for software that I have looked at as I will probably only use it this one time.

Thanks

Derek

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

*BUMP* :blink

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

hey SGUK is that short for bring up my password by any chance ???

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How big roughly is the password mate? (if you can remember), you might be able to get a free tool that will do a brute force attack but that can take days if the password is around 8 characters long. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

aah, the joys of VBA,

don't get ripped off by those crappy programs which charge you 20-30$ for unencrypting the password. The passwords in VBA are all one of 65000 combinations, despite the password length that you used. They are pretty easy to crack, (there are various guides out there!). The easiest, cheapest and least painfull way to crack your vba modules is to create another vba module paste some vba cracking code into it (find it off the web, there should be plenty in vba forums), and then run the sub in the new unprotected vba sheet. this dosen't so much give you your password, it just unlocks your macro's (or vba modules). As for how long it takes, on a p4 3.0 it takes about 20seconds if I recall properly. VBA passwords are NOT secure in the slighest.

Personally, I just use it to crack those annoying match the picture excel applications you get, but which you can never finish due to stupid typos.

dcuk

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

I managed to fix this, I found a nice little application on the net after a whole load of searching for a free one, it basically changes the password then tells you what it has changed it to, all you have to do then is change it to what ever you want in the VBA application (in my case Excel).

Thanks again for all your help

@dcuk - I like your idea, I will take a look at this option if I can find any code on the net.

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346