vb5db.dll and Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'Software' started by supernova, Dec 3, 2012.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have a problem using a legacy application which i think was developed in Visual studio 6 I have installed it on a fresh install of XP SP3 and installed both VB5, Visual Studio 6 and VC++ run times. I get the error vb5db.dll not load which I cant find on the system, however, Service Pack 3 supposedly has the latest MDAC/DAO/JET/etc packages. I wonder if there is some sort of runtime package I can download to sort this out with possible other missing files?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Visual C++ runtime libraries are not relevant to your problem as this is a Visual Basic 5 DLL you are missing.

JET is the Access embedded database runtime. MDAC is a set ODBC drivers, again not really relevant.

A full install of Visual Basic 5 should resolve your issue, you could try finding vb5db.dll from the VB install directory and copying it to the applications local directory.

You could try running depends.exe to determine what DLL's the program is loading and from where.

3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

vb5db.dll was also apart of VB6 and Visual Studio 6, is also included as apart of DAO 3.5 and DAO 3.6.

I thought there might a redist for the latter , however, isn't DAO included in SP 3?

- - - Updated - - -

I think that I have got it now from another app

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots