Varying ADSL speeds in my house

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Stoney, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Evenin'

I've recently decorated my lounge, which has involved removing the (main) incoming BT box so that the wall could be re-plastered.

I have put the box back on the wall and my phone is working fine and I can get my 2.3 Mbps ADSL as per usual.

However, there is an extension that runs from the main box to the office upstairs and when I use the internet upstairs (modem plugged directly into the extension socket) the ADSL is at 163.8 kbps!! :blink

It never used to be any different upstairs and I don't really see why it should be.

I'm going to take both the extension points off the walls tomorrow to see if the wiring looks ok and check that nothings snagging on the wires, but I just wondered if anyone else had had a similar problem or could suggest any potential problems.

Cheers

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

electrical intereference?

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

sounds a bit weird if its been ok in the past.

It could be degredation of the line (cable), or something wrong at the nearest telephone exchange.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Well im going to say that its your internal wiring, it worked fine before it was removed and now it isnt so it seems like they are related. Is the slow speed mentioned above the sync speed or the actual throughput on your line? Are you a BT broadband customer?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First thing to do is to go to your 'master socket'. Hopefully this is the newer version (visualy in two halves). If so remove the screws for the lower half, which will reveal another BT socket. Plug just the ADSL modem into this and check the speeds.

Doing this isolates the rest of your internal wiring from the BT wiring.

If the speeds are good then you know that your internal wiring has a problem - if you call out BT to fix it they will charge you.

I strongly suspect that your internal work has damaged your internal wiring.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I've checked the connections on both the sockets and they're fine, I can get the correct ADSL speed on the master socket.

I think the problem lies in the cable that runs from the master box to the extension socket. The cable was quite tight when we put the new skirting boards on the wall and there wasn't much play in the cable to pull up behind the skirting. I'm guessing the cable has got crimped or knicked due to this and this is what is causing the problem.

I guess i'll have to run a new cable upstairs at some point or invest in some wireless technology! :rolleyes:

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Sounds like you have found the problem. If the sync rate drops when your connected to the extension then that would be the cause.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Stoney,
    What terminals are wired up on the extension box? Only terminals 2 & 5 need to be wired in.
    Cheers
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi,

If I remember rightly terminals 2,3, and 5 are wired in on the extension box.

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hmmm, isn't terminal 3 used to ring the bell on the telephone when an incoming call is recieved?

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It is. However quite a few phones these days don't actually use this connection to ring. You need to test to see if this true in your case.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Every *new* box i have seen only has two wires coming in to the house; not quite sure if the other pins are fed from these...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

You only get 2 wires coming in from BT, but the third is added when you put in an extension.

15. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I will test this out and see.

However, I think the underlying problem is that the extension cable has been squidged behind the new skirting board and has been damaged as a result.

Still worth a test tho :biggrin

16. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well I fixed this today.

It involved moving everything out of my office, pulling up the carpet, pulling up some floor boards then feeding some cable downstairs and plumbing it into the BT box.

It took me most of the day to complete but I now have my full ADSL speed back, yey! :biggrin

And with that I have 1400 emails to download............. how many times can you be asked if you want a bigger penis?? :blink

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice work Stoney 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)