Value of BCS membership rises in economic downturn

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by UKDarkstar, Mar 4, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I know that the value of BCS membership has come up here several times with some strongly advocating it and some not.

For those who are considering it, this article from the BCS may be of interest. It states that "Nearly two thirds of BCS members believe belonging to the organisation has contributed to their career progression" and that "'We've also seen an increase in the number of employers willing to pay for BCS members. In difficult times, companies are looking to retain good people, and offering BCS membership is an effective way of doing this."

Have a read - food for thought :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Cheaper than a payrise!:)

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Good to see that Bloody Common Sense is making a comeback!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

ROFL ! :p

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While some may not agree with the article, I do agree with it. I joined the BCS before the resession, with professionalism being one of the top reasons, and I still stand by that reason.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

agree totally its definately worth the investment and also proves to people that you are serious about your profession. My original point was only based on the fact that training and pay increments are the first things to suffer when financial difficulties hits. Maybe companies are looking for cheaper ways (rightly or wrongly) to make their staff feel like they are being invested in.

BCS though is a great resource and I get alot of useful info from being a member, although I have not gone to a local regular shindig yet (children etc put pay to my social life a good few years ago now).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  7. Kitkatninja

That's true...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Which I think is a bad idea, training budgets should at least rise a little. Companies need to improve the skills of the staff they have so they are more efficient in their roles, whether its the cleaner or the specy server guy or the CEO. Trainging staff makes them feel better about where they work (less itchy feet syndrome) and also can help the business stay afloat.

Still offering to pay for BCS membership is a step in the right direction but £100 odd pound wouldnt buy my loyalty(which is why all my cert's and BCS membership are paid for out of my pocket)!

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Just to also add, I have been contacted by a recruiter about a possible job and he was searching one of the job sites for people who were MBCS :biggrin

Fingers crossed !

10. Kitkatninja

Good luck mate :)

-Ken

11. adencool

adencool Bit Poster

i thought about being a member of the bcs, but they always seam to hold their meeting in dorset!

not exactly a central location is it?

Certifications: HNC,Mcdst,MCITP:SA,MCTS,MCSA
    WIP: mcitp:ea
  12. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

There are local BCSs all round the UK. There is a local one in Birmingham
    This is the link to the Birmingham Site. They hold events every month that can often be interesting.. May be worth a look?

Dom 8)

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  13. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Is being an AMBCS worthwhile?

I don't have 5 years experience yet but think it's always a good idea to be part of an industry association if possible.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Whilst the AMBCS is a post-nominal membership, I personally don't use them (and won't until I'm MBCS).

I think it's worth joining at this level, as it still affords you the interesting meetings / discussions and networking opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise get (or may have to pay more to attend).

It's only £55 a year - so why not :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'm relatively new to this site. Could someone give me a sales pitch on why someone like myself, having worked with Mainframes in IT for 10 years, would join the BCS?

What kind of things does the fee get you? And how much is it please?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  16. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well he'd miss my CV then as it only has CITP on it ! Also some people are AMBCS or fellows, so his search isn't very effective for a 'professional searcher'. Still at least he wasn't mass mailing people with low paying jobs or ones with no location or salary details.

17. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Job Spec :

Qualifications

Degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area
    Post graduate qualification (level 5) Management qualification; MBCS, Microsoft Certified Professional or equivalent

Better get that MBCS in front of your CITP ! :p

Pity they never search for Amiga experience :twisted:

18. Kitkatninja

I started off with the AMBCS, so I believe it is worth it.

I'm not a sales person, so I won't give you a sales pitch, however I will tell you why I joined the BCS...

I joined the BCS for two main reasons:

1. To support professionalism in IT, to get it recognised along the same lines as lawers, doctors/nurses, teachers, etc... And
    2. To gain my Chartered Status (CITP/CEng), I went for CITP myself :)

Added to that I'm developing my career with the aim of Upper management (currently an IT manager), I have seen quite a few jobs requesting that a perspective candidate be a member of a professional body, plus I have also seen a few specifically requesting CITP status. Other membership benefits that I use include: SFIA access, CPD/IPD access, some magazines, cross membership with the CMA. Some membership benefits that I don't use include: discounted training, regular regional/national meetings, some magazines, etc...

Not everyone's reason for joining a professional organisation is the same, not every IT Professional will join the BCS (some join the IET). Membership is a two way process, does membership offer what you want for the fee that the organisation wants? If yes, then go for it. If not, then don't...

As for the fees, see here.

-Ken

19. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Just asked my boss if she would mind me using her as a reference - she paid for the application :biggrin

Looking forward to seeing what regional conferences they do - all the ones on the site at the moment are in London or Southampton unfortunately.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  20. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I think I'll wait until I progress past Team Leader before joining. I had no idea it would support IT as a profession though, something I'm keen on doing. Cheers
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs