Using Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tdooley, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

I've got 2 PC's connected as a peer-to-peer network, 1 with XP Home and 1 with XP Pro. When I view the XP Pro PC from the XP Home PC via RD, the screen returns to the log in screen. When I log back in to the XP Pro PC, the session is ended. Is there anything I can do to keep the session open.

Cheers
    Tony Dooley

Mod Edit (AJ): email address removed to protect member

WIP: MCDST, then start on MCSA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you mean when you log onto the Windows XP PC with RD the local user session is then locked? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi Tony, not 100% with you on this one but do you mean you log off from RD, then the next time you connect with RD you have to login again? Is so, when conected with RD, go to start and choose disconnect instead of log off. That should do the trick.

By the way, I'd remove your email address from your post or at least change to read something like tonykate[at]oldlondon[dot]fsnet[dot]co[dot]uk. Expect to get inundated with spam otherwise.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Only one person can be actively logged into an XP Pro or XP Home PC. If you RDP into a computer, you will take over that single console connection. When you return to the local monitor, a login is required to resume the session.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Baba O'Riley

Apparantley, SP 2 was going to allow contiguous sessions so that one person could be logged in remotely and another locally simultaneously. I do have a link to a site that shows you how to enable this even though it isn't a supported feature. I've never tried it myself though.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There is also a reg hack that you can do to have more than one remote desktop session. shhhh! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

Hi (not sure what to call you) Baba
    Sorry, I'll try and clarify:
    From PC1 (XP Home on it) I connect via RD to PC2 (XP Pro on it). But as soon as I'm connected, the monitor on PC2 immediately goes to the log in screen showing the various user account names I can log in by. When I log back in on PC2, I get a message on PC1 saying:
    The remote session to the remote computer was ended by means of an administration tool. Your administrator might have ended your session with the options OK or Help. I expected PC2 to stay logged in for the session.

Hope this is clearer.
    Cheers
    Tony

8. Baba O'Riley

Tony, you can call me what you like.:D This is what was alluded to previously. You can only have one open session at a time. As soon as you log on from RD, it closes the local session. When you log on locally to PC2 it closes the remote session. As we said, there are registry hacks and the like to enable you to have both sessions open simultaneously. I'm at work at the mo, but I'll post a link I've got that might help you when I get home.

9. BosonMichael

As Baba stated, that's expected behavior. Only one person can be actively using the session. RDP starts, local stops. Local user logs back on, RDP is kicked off.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

Then maybe I've misunderstood what Remote desktop is. I know I'm only trying it out at home and maybe it works differently in a real work situation on a client server network. But what's the point of RD logging you out of a PC when I thought the idea was so that a user could view a person, i.e. technician navigating remotely round your desktop trying to sort out a problem the user has raised. Also you've introduced RDP which I presume, according to Wikipedia, is Remote Desktop Protocol, that I've not heard of before. Maybe I'd better end this thread, 'cos I'm not making myself clear.

Thanks for trying
    Tony

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Tony,

If you want to help (or be helped) another user and guide them so they can *do it themselves* next time, I would suggest Remote Assistance. This way, you can offer advice or watch what a user is doing on their machine and take over if needed.

You can read more about Remote Assistance here.

Hope this helps.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. Baba O'Riley

You'll never learn anything like that!:D

As Boyce said, Remote Assistance will perform the function you're after, however, many companies will use third party applications for this kind of task. RD is used more for administering servers or other machines that aren't immediately accessible.

Here is the link I was talking about earlier. If you try it let me know how it works.

13. BosonMichael

Yep, Remote Assistance is what you're looking for. It's slightly different from Remote Desktop.

Yes, RDP is Remote Desktop Protocol... which Remote Desktop uses. Sorry for the terminology confusion - around here, we just say, "I'm gonna RDP into his box."

One of those third-party tools for remote administration that Baba mentioned is called Dameware. We use that around here all the time. Works quite well. There are others available that perform similar functionality.