Using Programming Courses to enter IT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by malik06, May 16, 2005.

1. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

My Computeach salesman sold me on doing 2 programming courses with them. (Java and VB.NET) He told me that I'll probably end up in some sort of Tech Support position to start off with sometime during my studies.

It's a little late to be asking now, :rolleyes: but I'm wondering now if that makes sense.

Will studying programming equip me in any way, shape or form for some sort of tech support job? I'm wondering now if it's more likely that the first job I'll be able to get will be an entry-level coding job once I finish my certification in one language or another. Also, will certification (and possibly a bit of experience through volunteering or internship or something) in VB.NET alone help me to secure a position? Or would I be better off studying Java?

Any thoughts from those in the know would be appreciated.

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I was offered a helpdesk support role while I was studying. I didn't take it at the time.
    Helpdesk support is just an easy-ish way to get into IT and start gaining some experience. I suppose it must be fairly high turnover, as they seem to come up quite a lot.
    Although it might not be stricly relevant to programming, it will help you get started in the industry.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

Thanks Jonny. Just trying to figure out if I should zig or zag or stay on my current course here. I've paid a significant amount of money, and I want to get the best result that I can.

malik06

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE