Using pictures you dont own on your blog?

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Juelz, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I've looked online and there doesn't seem to be one reliable answer and a big conflict in opinions. When I was at uni, whenever we used a diagram or piece of text from a website or book we would reference it, stating where the information came from. Wouldn't this be the same for a blog, in order to avoid legal issues?

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Typically yes, when you're presenting data from another source, you have to always quote or give credit where it's due. This applies to any intellectual property such as text or media. That's also some of the reasons why some people put watermarks on their media, to protect their content that they've worked so hard on.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I generally link back to the original owner of the content and mention them somewhere in the post.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Definitely yes, you may not deem it fit at present if your blog is only small but you never know where it could end up so starting in the correct way will save you any potential headaches in the future.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. LivingDie

LivingDie New Member

Some dude threatened company i work for (travel agency) that he will sue them for using his photos. It was a major panic, we had to put down all pics from site :D. It was all good at the end :D