Using a website for CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jellyman_4eva, May 4, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Just a quickie... (LOL) :twisted:

Is this a good idea? I went and looked at my CV again today, and I just thought, god this is awful.. I need more space to show what I am trying to get to and how I have got there...

But is a website something potential employers would even waste time looking at?

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i seen this done quite a few times, and it will all depend on your actual layout of the site and compatibility to actually make an impact, overall i think this is a good idea, but dont throw your CV (word doc) away... whether people note their site on their CV for more information, that i dont know...

3. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Again, i'm not sure about putting yor CV on a website but i have created a couple of mock websites and put the url's on my CV so the prospective employer can check it out! It works for me, just a thought!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i wouldnt use it as my main CV... dont forget you may have spent hours trimming it down because the person looking at doesnt want to spend long finding what they want.. i dont think they would be too happy looking on the internet for you CV and then having to look through it.. its too much effort for them! :dry

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all...

Thanks for the replies...

I would not be using it for my main CV. I would still have to update/sort out my paper cv and use it, but I meant to use it as a way of explaining myself a little better...

Perhaps like a ... more about me kind of site...

Obviously I would have to protect any kind of personal details, such as passworded login or something...

Actually the more I think about it, the more silly the idea sounds!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I saw a great one once, where some guy had done a kind of musical flash animation stylee CV as a website.
    It worked really well and may well have attracted attention if he was to apply for any jobs which in some way involved flash animation or the ability to sing.

If he was applying as a bank clerk, it would just make him look like a tw@t.

The sad thing is that initially most employers are looking for an excuse to put your CV in the bin just to reduce the pile on the desk. If they can't find an excuse, only then do they read it.

Problem is, by using a website, you are making work for them - they actually have to click a link, and most of them will just go, 'nah...'

However, if you have a portfolio that you want to display, then a website is an excellent way of doing it. But it will only work once your conventional CV has caught their attention.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I try and list all my main skills on my CV.

I then have a website that has full lists of my skills / software used and the such (can't fit it all on cv right?). I also have a separate portfolio site that has my website skills / work listed. Depending on the job depends on what one i reference.

I don't expect them to look at it hence trying to list as much as possible on my CV, however it's there if they want to. Say it's a close call between you and someone else... they may just check it out and you get an interview. Who knows everything helps though!

At the top of my CV i have the website address, and then say in my cover letter for full range of my skills visit www.bleh.co.uk.

What was intresting is, i went to one Interview and he said it was a good idea and the other one printed it out... didn't get the jobs though but since then i've kept it and kept updating it. :)

Lets you explain your self in more detail. :)

Also shows your level of knowledge more, especially if its your own domain and looks professionally. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

It sure confuses the Agency people when they ask can you e-mail me a copy of your CV and you say look at www.XXXXXX.XXX - Hey I am in IT! I use IT Please come into the 21C!

9. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

This may sound kind of strange (but you will meet many stange people whilst working in IT believe me), but me and a friend discussed making a interactive "video" cd's instead of the boring paper one's, whereby the potential employee could demonstrate his/her skills in a video format (possibly interactive).
    I don't think this would go down well in most potential employer's books though?

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, I get more mileage by posting my resume on sites such as Dice.com, Monster, and CareerBuilder.com. I've had more than a few emails and phone calls that start out: "I saw your resume on Dice and I'd like to schedule a time for an interview...".

That being said, I do have my CV on my website, however I also have it as a word document that I can easily attach to an email if requested. It's a good idea to have different versions of your CV depending on their purpose.

Since I'm a writer, I also have other "hooks" on my site such as a page for my writing samples, an original article on wireless, a list of my recent accomplishments, my writer's bio, and reviews on various technical books.

Basically, the whole thing is geared to show anyone who cares what I've done and what I can do. I include the URL to my site in the signature of my emails so the curious prospective employeer can have a look.

I don't want to spam CF (at least too badly) by posting a link to my site here but if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll pass it along. Cheers. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I have my URL in the footer of my CV along with my email address and mobile number.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  13. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

You can also have a blog which is quick to set up and can expand on your CV.

If you don't have the time/money to put up a website a blog can fit this need very well IMO

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging