using a virtual server

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by steve_p1981, Mar 7, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

ok i have a copy of virtual pc 2007 and i also have an evaluation copy of server 2003. I have installed server 2003 and set it up as a general server as per the window that pops up when you fisrt log into the software.
    I have installed active directory and added a couple of users and groups.
    now i'm stuck.
    how do i get my virtual pc (running xp professional) to log in to the server. do i have to install server 2003 onto the client machine too as when i installed it, it told me i had 5 licences.
    This is my first go at a network (virtual or otherwise) so any tips would be good as i'm studying for my a+ and this isn't covered.
    cheers guys

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You have to join the PC to the domain. If it fails, it will probably be because of DNS settings on your domain controller, or virtual networking settings on your VPC. To join the domain, right click 'My Computer', go to 'Properties', then select the 'Computer Name' tab and click the button called 'Change' next to "To rename this computer or join a domain". Then, provide a domain admin account and password when prompted. If all is well, after a few seconds you'll receive a 'Welcome to ____ domain" message, click OK twice and then reboot when prompted. After the vm restarts, you'll be able to log into the domain.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said works ^

But am I seeing this correctly (I am very tired btw) you have a machine running server and then have virtual pc?

You install virtual pc then use virtual pc to create a virtual hard disk then on the virtual hard disk you install server 2003 onto it

I have virtual pc running server 2003 and 4 xp pros (thats 5 virtual hard disks btw).Thats all running on an xp pro system.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

It might be me not explaining properly. I have a virtual machine unning sever 2003 and a virtual PC running xp pro.

also how do i do this with physical PCs? can i just do the same thing and they'll see the virtual machine or do i have to share the virtual pc somehow an access it through the router / modem that I have?

5. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

As long as your physical machine is on the same network as your virtual server it can join your domain. You will have to make sure that any PC you want to join to the domain (Physical or virtual)has its DNS pointing to your server.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

cheers guys i got it sorted now, now to play with active directory and the domain controller to set permissions and rights. man i'm getting more and more geeky every day!

7. greenbrucelee

Sorry I have been busy.

I set it up using ICS to share the internet connections for the machines with my physical setup this allows you to set the dc up correctly and to communicate with the other virtual setups.

One cool thing I found was that you send loads of request to the dc from your physical setup whilst trying to do things on your virtual setup and watch how crappy things get. I suppose its a bit like a denial of service attack.

8. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I found that my VMs are more responsive if I remote desktop into them rather than using the virtual PC viewer.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  9. greenbrucelee

I have never thought of trying that. Might try it this weekend and see how it is.