Users and Everyone

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Boycie, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Chapter 12 in the 270 self paced book tips to say remove <everyone> from the printing permissions and replace it with <users>.
    Is this such an improvement in security? The way i am thinking, everyone would be all the <things> XP adds on i.e guest, operating system etc, compared to Users which would be <all users>.

Si (waiting to be corrected)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

the book seems to be quite vague on who comes under everyone and who comes under the users

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

You can see who belongs to each group via MMC, but just can't see the security benefit myself.

Si

4. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

u r quite right there, doesnt seem to be any improvement from the security point of view...yeah probably the only things that will be prevented is the guest and OS being removed, meanwhile when it comes to users they will need to be in the user group...

y didnt i think of that :oops:

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

If I remember correctly........Everyone means just that, EVERYONE, Including unathenticated/Anonomous users and users only allows authenticated users.

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Nelix,

thanks. Perhaps it is because whenever they mention networking/groups and users i always associate it with a domain set-up. In this case unless you are a domain member you can't do <nowt> anyhow.

Thanks

Si

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, the everyone group means everyone, no need for authentication. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks for clearing that up. From people's experience of the 270, are the majority of the questions based on workgroup or domain?
    I remember Zimbo saying he wishes he studied 270 and 290 together.

Si

9. Sparky

I’m going over my 70-290 notes just now (day off work!) and Im currently trying to get my head around this issue as well! (I thought I had it sussed!)

According to MS:
    Everyone: When a user logs *onto the network* they are added to the everyone group. This can be guests and members from *other domains*
    Authenticated Users: This specifies that all users must be authenticated onto the network. Use this group in place of the everyone group.
    Anonymous Logon: Refers to anyone on the network that has not been authenticated.

What confuses me is that MS says for a user to be in the ‘everyone’ group they must *log onto* the network? Does this mean they log on with a domain user account and are therefore in the ‘authenticated users group’? :blink

Edit: I take if you log on with the guest account you are not in the authenticated users group?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spark,

that is just it, seperating workgroup set-ups from Domains.
    Unless you have a user account and password, you cannot log on to the domian which in my book means they are authenticated and ready to go.
    A work group is a different kettle of fish....

Si

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

si i understood it as Users is more secure than Everyone because Everyone group also contains the guest account...

Authenticated is more secure out of the three because for obvious reasons the user account has authenticated against a DC...

some areas in 270 and 290 i found similar... some that come to my head now are printers and NTFS permissions...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks for all your input :thumbleft

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Christ.
    You'd never guess that I've been out of the office this afternoon...

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

he he he

15. Sparky

Just tested this today on my test domain, I know it’s different to a workgroup environment but whatever, hee hee! :biggrin

Anyways, created a share with ‘users’ as the only group and removed ‘everyone’ from the share. Gave the ‘users’ group full permissions.

Logged on as a domain user and could access the share. Logged on as ‘guest’ and got an ‘access denied’ error message. Changed the share back to ‘everyone’ and logged on as ‘guest’ and could access the share.

I would imagine this would be similar in a workgroup environment, if somebody logged on to a PC with a local guest account that would mean they could not access shares on other PCs that have the ‘users’ group in the share permissions.

Ok... now to lock down IIS! 8)

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks for clarifying that Spark.

Si

17. Sparky

According to MeasureUP the ‘anonymous logon’ group is not part of the ‘everyone’ group. Microsoft don’t make this easy! :blink

18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

no, you are right there Spark. Thanks for posting.

Si