Useful sites to buy new tyres or changes your wheels

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

After my accident (& the insurance cheque) I decided to go for a ford mondeo - the 2.0 TDCi LX, 115PS version. However since this is the base model, I've decided that I wanted to change my steels (steel wheels) to alloys, however since the standard wheels on the mondeo are 16", prices for those are more expensive than the 15" or 17", added to the fact that if you're like me and only have basic knowledge of cars, a limited amount of cash and where-ever you go you get conflicting advice about changing the size of your wheels. If you go either +/- 2.5% of the standard wheel size, the speed on your speedometer doesn't reflect the correct speed you're going.

I actually found this site. So I'm more informed on what size wheels/tyres to get, so for me:

Current: 205/55/R16
    New (in 2 weeks time approx hopefully): 225/45/R17

Now for a cheap place to buy tyres, look here. They actually come to you and fit (or repair) your tyres.

If you want a set of alloys for your car, I would recommend looking here first of all. So far they offer the cheapest alloy wheel and tyre packages.

I hope that others will find this info useful, if I had this before hand, I could have saved myself about 1 1/2 weeks of searching around :)

-Ken

p.s. after the wheels, will start looking to install front fog lights :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Cheers Ken, I've got similar mondeo might give that a look ! :biggrin

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have the same size wheels on my BMW.

Bigger wheels dont affect the speedo but fatter underinflated or overinflated tyres can. They also affect your mpg, for example my BMW is rear wheel drive and one of my back tyres was loosing pressure and I was only getting 28mpg instead of 36.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ken was not refering to average fuel consumption or mpg.

The speedo is connected to the gearbox, theres generally a helical cable connecting the odometer/speedo to the gearbox.

I'm not a mechanic, obviously its slightly more complicated because you can have differentials but they should only account for small changes in tire rotation in general ?

Since the distance traveled is the circumference of the tyre x by the number of revolutions of the wheel.
    The speed is the circumference of the tyre x by the radial velocity of the wheel (estimated from the gearbox) the tyre size could affect the speedo.
    As could a new gearbox if you fitted one.

http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/index.php/Maths

So what people suggest is not to change the tyre circumference, thats what ken has done, he has increased the size of his alloys but changed the profile of this tyres to a lower profile, thereby keeping the tyre circumference the same more or less.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ok

I have never heard of a speedo being wrong but I do know that petrol gauges can be very wrong

if car tyres are balanced properly and are properly fitted on all four wheels then 30mph should be 30mph

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Just don't use them when it's not foggy! £50 fine plus a taste of the full beam from oncoming drivers! :D

As for your tyres - well they're too expensive and to be honest you haven't looked hard enough for a good deal. The real price of a tyre is half of what you pay the fitter. I own a 55 plate Mondeo ST220 that has 225/40/R18 XL 92Y and the jokers on those sites want about £125 per tyre - Continental Sport Contact 2. Add the fitting that's about £135. The rip off merchants where I live want approx £150 per wheel:eek:

I ended up buying 4 x Continental Sport Contact 3 M0 Extra Loads for £300 off ebay. There is a chap that supplies BMW M series and Merc AMG series tyres - which happen to fit on mine. He has a huge reputation and is cosher in his dealings! If you look quite carefully on ebay you'll find him.

When I took mine to get fitted it only cost £10 per wheel so all together that was £85 per wheel - better then £135 to £150!!!

Spend a couple of days on ebay and you'll soon see the "Buy Now" bargains where tyres are concerned.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. Kitkatninja

See this site, it calculates the old size vs the new size and tell you what the speed difference is. In my case:

With old wheels: Speedo 70mph
    However with new wheels the speedo will state: 69.74mph

If you do not match up the sizes properly, you'll find that you are doing either over or under the speed you think you're doing, the difference between a speeding ticket or not. One of my mates changed his steels to alloys, but when he did the changeover he couldn't get the alloys he wanted and ended up with 15" wheels instead, now when his speedo states he's doing 70mph, he's really doing about 63mph/64mph.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. Kitkatninja

I know not to use fog lights when it's not foggy, hence the name fog lights, I'm not a boy racer! What I'm aiming for is trying to develop my car with some things that the ghia/zetec has without paying extra for a zetec/ghia. For example: Alloy wheels, fog lights, CD changer, etc... :)

As for the price of the tyres, did you look at the prices properly? The price of the economy tyres are: £62.90 (inc VAT, inc fitting, inc balancing and inc them taking away the old tyre). I'm a bit weary of buying tyres of ebay if they aren't a proper store, there have been news stories of "shops" on ebay, selling tyres as new but they are really substandard remanufactured tyres.

-Ken

9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Any measuring device or transducer is only so accurate, then they can go out of calibration. The police speed cameras have to be regularly tested for this reason, theres also a body called weights and measures etc that sets out standards for calibration.

Theres many reasons why your speedo could therefore be wrong, the law is that it should be within +0-10% of the real value in the UK I believe.

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm
    http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Logarithmic_20Speedometer

Get some neons on there Ken ! :biggrin

Well youd be able to tell if they are remolds but yeah I had a blow out once at 80 mph, I can't prove it but I'd say it was because the tyre was old stock and had been lying around for a while, so can't be too careful...

10. drum_dude

I used to have the 130 PS TDCi Ghia Mondeo if I remember it had: Front Fog Lights, Sony 6 CD Changer, rear parking sensor, Auto-dimming mirror, mirror puddle lights, auto-lighting. It was a nice car and was in Magnum Grey.

Economy tyres for the size of your alloys will be a false economy. Tyres are the most important part of a vehicle and I can never understand why people go for cheapo options! You'll be lucky to see 5,000 - 10,000 miles out of those! My last continentals lasted 18,000 miles with hard driving so lord know's how long those cheapos will last on that wider alloy profile! How much is your car worth just out of interest?

The websites you mention are not a "proper store" either! They are part of a cartel that is keeping prices inflated - pardon the pun. They do you NO favours - like I said if you look on ebay and find the few that deal DIRECT with the distributor and you'll find decent tyres at a decent price - as opposed to putting your life in the hands of far eastern tyres that only cost 10 quid to make! The chap I dealt with has a reputation in excess of 4000 and supplies tyres to owners of BMW M3s, M5s etc...he's a good person to know.

You're buying a decent car, decent alloys so why compliment them with shite tyres? You'd be better off just keeping your steels and putting decent Contis on them for the same price as the cheapo low profile Hung Kook jobs!

P.S. Most front foggers are not boy racers! My m8 who is a copper tells me that it's mostly elderly BMW drivers that he pulls over and fines!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  11. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Gee this really is getting out of hand ! :biggrin

Well i'm no tyre or engineering expert....

but

Alloy wheels should therefore increase the effectiveness of the suspension, handling, brakes, ride, etc.

Well rubbers rubber...or is it?

The rubber compounds do change, if you watch formula 1 you will see them argue that a tyre manufacturer can win a race for them... However driving on the road is possibly a different matter...

So theres possibly two or three variables ?

1. Rubber compound
    2. Tread design
    3. Tyre profile

Compound, softer compounds can provide more grip, but they don't last as long. Harder compounds less grip, but last longer. Again its a tradeoff, think about it, you want maximum friction for maximum grip, more friction = more wear. I'm no physics expert but again I doubt theres that much difference by manufacturer in terms of wear for a similar hardness of the compound.

Tread, as with anything its a tradeoff, slicks will give you more traction in the dry, useless in the wet, hard to determine any benefit from different tread designs for road tyres.

Profile, well this probably means more wear and less effective suspension from the tyre. Not dependant on manufacturer, largely an asthetics choice for most people. Non low profile work better on ice.

12. drum_dude

Nice one dmarsh - most informative there! Cheers

I can only go by what I've experienced and by what others will low profiles have told me. I once made the mistake of putting Toyos on my ST and bloody hell the thing was sliding and the traction control light was coming on quite a lot! The ride was also very noisy - but the big pain the arse was that they were due to be changed after 7,000 miles!!! What worried me the most was the handling - terrible and the steering was quite heavy too. So I went back to the Contis and the car drives like a dream! It's the last time I ignore the manufacturers spec!!!

13. drum_dude

14. drum_dude

15. Kitkatninja

Thanks for the heads up on the extra's, some I will implement on my car, some I just won't be able. Kinda wanted the 6 speed gear box at first, but the amount of work (at least 2 days) added to that the insurance costs @ this moment in time would be very expensive for me. Thanks for the links :)

Elderly drivers can't be trusted :lol:

dmarsh26 good info. Snow tyres also work wonders on ice :)

This thread ain't getting out of hand, this is what I like sharing info :)

-Ken

16. Kitkatninja

I had that before with my Daewoo Espero. It was funny, I had one set of toyo tyres that were terrible, however when I changed them to a different set ot toyo tyres - a totally different experience, less road noise, seemed like better control & lasted longer (ok, they cost a little bit more than the last set).

-ken

17. drum_dude

Do you know about the auto locking feature when you get over 5mph? Should work on yours but it's a great safety feature as I had 2 scumbags tried to get into me ST at traffic lights and luckily the auto locking kicked in when I left home so the doors were locked!!! I can post the how to on here if you like? It's a feature that is built into the Mondeo management system but just requires a lock/unlock combination to activate it!

18. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate, that would be great. Another thing, another mate of mine has the zetec version of the 2.0 TDCi and he said that there was a key combination that rolls up the windows when you lock the doors - do you know about that key combi? If you do, if you could also post it (it may be only available on the zetec?).

Thanks

-ken

19. drum_dude

My ST does that and my old Ghia did that. But it's done from the key. When I press and hold down the close button all windows close and the opposite when you press and hold the open button. There is a combination to activate it on the window buttons. But the system has to have the Global Open/CLose function. I'll post the window combination but not sure if it'll work on yours.

20. drum_dude

Automatic One Touch Window Control (required for global opening/closing)

1. Press the power window control switch close button until the door window is fully closed and hold the button in the close position for a further second.

2. Release the power window control switch close button and press again two or three more times, for one second each time.

3. Press the power window control switch open button until the door window is fully open.

4. Briefly press the power window control switch close button to the second detent and release the button.

l If the door window does not close automatically, repeat the complete procedure.

5. Repeat the door window motor initialization for each door window motor.