Used to be indicisive, but now I'm not too sure??!?....

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Leehaa, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Well everything has been so crazy with work and interviews etc.

I've had some interviews with some second ones that I didn't follow up, and an offer...

...but i've turned them all down.

Work is really stressful, but i'm getting some joy out of it now, and, looking at other jobs, realise that, yes there is a huge salary difference (even if I digressed), but somehow, there is still something that I get here that I haven't "felt" in the interviews etc

Plus, I've been doing some exciting stuff - helped set up a network for a well known restaurant chain just set up HO in Milton Keynes - and really loved it. Customers are giving some nice feedback etc (which REALLY helps)....

...may just stay here a little longer - is extremely intense, but might not be so bad afterall :p

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Like the title :)

The thing is you have been looking for other work so you want to move on and get more experience and hopefully better pay. :)

But now you say you are enjoying enjoying your current job, are you getting peed off with the interviews because you are not getting anything?

or

Have you got into a routine at your current work so you have some sort of safety net? So you are not jumping into unfamiliar territory.

I think you need to work out what you want to do and ask is there a chance to progress where you are or can you get it elsewhere.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

What's the rush? There's nothing that say's you have to take the first job that comes along. As long as things are at least tolerable where you're at, take your time. Sooner or later, an offer will come along that will really get to you. One that will keep you up at night because you can't wait to start the next day.

Use the time you have now to gain knowledge and experience until that one great job comes along.

4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

I had started to just see the negative things about my job.

Actively looking has made me take a step back and see it for the basic reasons that attracted me to it in the first place - the actual work environment - the fact that we get treated equally, and as adults (unlike a lot of support roles - some sound like you're treated like kids in a classroom!!). And, the fact that, although it is majorly busy - a bit crazy, I have actually learnt more in the last 6 months that I learned in the previous 3 years - honestly!!!

Also, I got a lot of confidence from the interviews (that I have brought back to fuel my current job). The first was a bit of a disaster with them telling me i'm shy etc, but I had a phone one that I though i'd totally bodged up and they invited me to a second one...and there were a some others that made me realise how good I actually am 8)

I'm still going to keep an eye out because there may be something that is a bit more "structured" so I get time to spend studying again (the major thing I miss), but then, you're totally hands on here, so it's almost as good anyway because you have to do everything - you can't procastinate, which is something I often end u doing with studying...

Good and bad points. Will just have to wait and see what happens...

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like you have plan :)

If you start seeing more negatives than positives at your current work then that when you know its time to leave.

Getting the interview experience is a good thing because if it comes to leaving your job then the experience will hopefully help you prepare for a prospective interview.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... the grass is always greener... until you jump the fence and see that there are problems that the "other side" has as well. If you didn't "feel it" when interviewing at those other places, then you likely made the right move, Lee!

It's always good to keep your eyes open for new opportunities. But I'm glad that things are looking better at your workplace so you can take the time to analyze those opportunities carefully... so you can leave your job when YOU want to... not when you're forced to do so out of desperation. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!