Use it or Lose it!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by BraderzTheDog, Sep 25, 2013.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

So I'm just wondering how you deal with having expert knowledge in a particular area or product, then due to circumstances or job change you find yourself no longer using what you know day to day.

Personally I used to be a nifty desktop support engineer, however having now been in networks for 3 years I struggle to recall bits and pieces when needed! Yes; its easier to find the answer but the main problem would be the mental toll knowing I had a skill that I have lost or is rather rusty.

What are your thoughts on this, and how do you deal with it?

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well it's two different jobs really. You deal with different type of problems and solutions so it's natural for you to forget some of the things you used to do. Don't worry about it, it's something that you'll always be able to pickup again quickly.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's the nature of the IT profession... It's not just the knowledge & experience that one has, it's knowing where to look or reference when needed :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I spent several minutes staring in bafflement at an Exchange 2003 box today. I have also forgotten virtually everything I ever knew about Cisco and Riverbed. It seems I cope with losing these skills by forgetting I ever had them.

God help me if I ever try and ride a bicycle again.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
    simongrahamuk likes this.
  5. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Haha, its not a case of doing anything about it, I suppose its just dealing with it!

Flash - That was a smart 1 liner to finish off there ;)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+