USB or Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Aug 16, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Wasnt sure which thread to put this under so I went for this one.

Lou's friend wants me to build her a PC (which arrives tomorrow :)) now she wants broadband and I have recommended my ISP to her. however I am not sure as to whether she should have a USB or Ethernet connection. I know from experience that routers are better cos there isnt much software to deal with unless its the firmware you're getting from the manufacturer's site and with USB it can be a pain sometimes what with certain chipsets not compatible with the chipset in the modem. now I did say she would be better off with ethernet but I need to know other than Netgear (as I know they are good) who else does great routers and at what price? Once I have built the PC we're taking it to Grimsby (where her mate lives and Lou is also from there) in early Sept and I am hoping that the ADSL is ready by then so I can hook it up for her and make sure is off to a flying start. but guys any help and suggestions will be welcomed. she does have a BT line with just one phone and no Sky digital so yes I have done my research :D.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

for that type of user it really doesnt matter
    but id always go with ethernet personally, i do however require 24/7 uptime, and decent lan connectivity and config
    your average jo doesnt

i use a ZyXel 642 Security Router, but thats overkill for this users needs i assume

ZyXel make lower end models too, the Dlinks are apparantly good (bah)

check the uk adsl websites for more reviews though

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

I would go for ethernet connection, easier to configure and you know where you stand with it, whereas USB I find can be tempermentle occasionally.

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

ethernet every time :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm throwing in my vote for Ethernet as well.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

DLink and Belkin both get pretty good press for their routers, as far as I've heard

HTH

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

USB routers/modems are as r4merlin pointed out can be tempermentle. For me it has to be ethernet every time, what about an internal ADSL modem? Just a thought.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I stay well clear of internal ADSL modems me like....I do have a USB modem but its BT Voyager 100 so I know all the ins and outs of it since I use to work for them. Oh Jak...Belkin does not go well with BT modems they cause serious conflicts...but thanks for all your help guys I have now made my decision and its all thanks to you lot...so Ethernet it is...

9. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Ethernet for me too...:biggrin Try Ebuyer for ADSL Modem and Routers. Cheapest by far.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Nice one, NoelG - I didn't know that. What sorta conflicts are we looking at here? I haven't come across any cases with that particular combination so far, but I'm sure you'll agree - forewarned is fore-armed :D

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I myself am not too sure as to why...but if I remember correctly its probably to do with the chipset in the modem...you're best bet is to ring the BT Broadband Tech Helpdesk and ask them yourself. If u want the number just PM me and I'll PM it to you...actually now I remember...it wasnt so much as a Belkin made ADSL modem but USB hubs and USB PCI Cards made by Belkin..yes that was it..it was to do with the chipset in the modem not being friendly with USB hubs and PCI cards by Belkin...so whenever we told cust they need to upgrade their USBs to 2.0 we told them to get non-Belkin ones or they would be in trouble...

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Nice one - cheers for that :thumbleft

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

of course bearing in mind that was like earlier this year so you may need to ring up the tech help desk to be sure...I think I will ring them tomorrow and let you know...

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Have rung the help desk Jak and yes Belkin products dont go well with BT modems.

15. Yorkie

Yorkie Bit Poster

I miss my ethernet
    Im stuck with my crappy USB modem my ISP supplied me with

Certifications: Very bad GCSE's
    WIP: First BTEC in IT Support
  16. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on the ISP, but most are OK these days with you using your own modem/router.

And these are remarkably cheap now.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  17. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

You can change it you know. I was issued with a crapy usb modem...It went in the bin (not really....Its filed somewhere).
    I then bought a Wireless asdl modem/router combi with ethernet sockets at rear, and away I went!!:biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  18. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

noelg24,

I vote Ethernet.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  19. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Ethernet for me, too. USB has enough devices, and frankly doesn't seem to handle processor time very well. Besides, I'd rather a driver designed for ethernet (NIC) than a modem with a flaky USB driver.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE