Upgrading VMWare Workstation 4.0

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by tripwire45, Jul 2, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've finally gotten to the point to where I need to access the free upgrade but I can't find it anywhere on VMWare's site. I can find plenty of info on VMWare, but nothing specific on how to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.5. Help.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Did you just get an email Trip?

Because as I just read this post, I checked my email and got one about VMWare Workstation, with upgrade info.

Don't know why they sent it, as I've already upgraded via another email.

Did you egt an email or not?

Edit: ahh just double checked, and this is a new upgrade, which I why I got an email.
    I upgraded to 4.5.1, but now there's a 4.5.2 version
    What coincidence that you ask this at the same time I egt an upgrade email:D
    Looks like I have some upgrading to do my
    self.

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Trip, I'm not too sure about an 'upgrade' but with most applications that receive regular updates you should be able to download the latest version and simply enter your key. If you paid for the 4.0 version, theoretically you can use the same key for all versions ie. 4.0, 4.x, to 4.99 (theoretically).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Just checked my current VM4.5.1 and if you got to help, int he menu is an option to check for updates.

This takes you to the download page, cool.

From 4 -4.5 though think you'll need to go to the site first.
    I'm having a gander now for you.The link I got was sent in an email last time, so not sure where it is.Will look though.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks. :)

6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I did the download (at work where I have DSL). Now we'll burn it to disk and see what it does on my home machine. Thanks loads. :D

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Once you've done that, check for any updates by going to the Help menu.

I'm just downloading now to 4.5.2.

It's probably just a slight patch, but it's good that you can now update directly from VM Help menu.

Edit: Hmm strange.Just downlaoded and ran the install but it said I already have it installed.
    Yet I have 4.5.1 (I just checked) and this download was for 4.5.2

Oh well, will have to look into it.

Edit: I uninstalled 4.5.1, then installed 4.5.2.
    It's worked now, it says 4.5.2 in version information.

Doesn't look like anythings changed much.Will have to read the documentation I think.
    So Trip, once you've downloaded 4.5.1, make sure you uninstall it before you install 4.5.2.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yeah it would be nicer if they had the patching util built into vmware, rather than grabbing an external file and installing it again

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Got it installed. No kidding, you have to uninstall the previous version first. Kind of bugs me but it worked. Haven't really put it to the test yet. I was informed that my VMWare tools were out of date and had to install new ones. I noted that there's USB support so I put it to the test. I works. I can plug a USB thumb drive into the host machine and the guest OS will pick it up. Way cool. 8) Later on, I'll see if I can accomplish my goals with the new and improved version.