Upgrading from a MCAD - the best path?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Gareth1977, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Gareth1977

Gareth1977 New Member

All,

I completed an MCAD back in 2005. I'm now looking at upgrading these certificates, in order to gain a better knowlage of the latest .NET technologies.

From the MS website, I think I have to do the following....

1) Take 2 exams to upgrade to .NET 2005 - These would be 70-551 and 70-552 - giving me a
    qualification

2) Take 2 further exams to upgrade to .NET 2008 - There would be 70-556 and 70-557. These would give me a MCPD in 3.0.

Could anyone please let me know if this is correct, and it's quite confusing.

Also, I take it a MCPD is "better" than a MCTS.

Finally, if anybody could point me in the right direction for books for the above, that would be very much appreciated.

G

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Which version of .NET are you working with at the moment?
    Or are you looking to apply for jobs that require it.

To be honest, I wouldn't upgrade your certs just for the sake of it, unless you've really got nothing else to do.
    I did my MCSD back in 2005-ish and have never upgraded.

I feel that I've made my point...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Gareth1977

Gareth1977 New Member

well i've been doing salesforce.com for the past 18months, and not a lot of .NET - so could do with a refresher.

Also, this job is looking a little shaking so want to prepare myself for the job market, and would be interested in going back to .NET full time

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Crikey - I know Salesforce.
    They were one of the people I had bid for a new CRM system.
    We went with MS in the end, but salesforce used to phone me every month without fail.
    Couldn't get rid of them, even when I told them we had been using another system for over a year.

Still, shows their product works as it should I suppose...

So is it true about the secure storage facilities, armed guards, retina scanning, laser intrusion nets and military grade encryption - or is it all running on a server in a shed?

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD