Upgrading a PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Johnd76, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Ok, here is the deal, i have been given an old computer to do what i please with, i want to upgrade everything but havent got much cash at the moment, so what are the first things that you poeple suggest i upgrade?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

What are the full specs of the computer

3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Also how much is "havent got much cash"? and what are the plans for the computer?

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If it's over 3 years old you may struggle to upgrade it.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Yes it is over 3 years old:

CPU: Intel Pentium III
    CPU Speed: 550 Mhz
    256 Ram
    Hard Drive: 8GB

So really, is it worth bothering about?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

That spec stick a linux distro on it and use as a server of some sort.

Then get a new comp specced and priced up :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Honestly mate, to be fair, its not really worth it. As wizard says, Use as a server of some sort. You will find upgrading this parts wise would cost you more than a new build in the long run. Save your cash for something special. 1366 Nehalem ;)

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on what you want to do with it. You can upgrade all of that... but it'll only be worth it if you can do it cheaply. The fastest processor you'll be able to get is, at best, a 1.26 GHz (if I remember correctly), and most likely, a 1 GHz. Memory is cheap... but older memory starts getting expensive again when it becomes hard to find. Hard drives are always cheap - you could get a 40 gigger for next to nothing.

If I had one of those, I'd likely build me a DOS or Windows 98 box for old games. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. easyjt

easyjt New Member

Surely this depends on whether he wants to do a completely new build or just improve wot he has. to be honest i think he would be better off doin a new build. one it will be a hell of a lot faster and it might even be cheaper than trying to get hold of a pentium 3 @1GHz and more ram. by the way is your 256mb of ram DDR or SDR?

10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

ebay is a good place to find upgrades of that age, although of course you are rather chancing it when you buy from ebay, might work might not. both of the cpu types (intel ones, slot 1 and socket 370) go up to about what BM said. Although I think you will find the 800mhz variants fairly common so that might be worth a punt. with at least an 800mhz cpu and maxed out sd ram you have a good chance of running a lightly loaded xp box (although it wont be fast).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing