Upgrade path to Windows XP

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by loneferret, Feb 25, 2009.

1. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Just received the Sybex's MCDST book today, and something caught my eye.
    They mention that one can upgrade directly to WinXP from Windows 95 :eek:
    This is what they say:
    Chapter 1, page 20.

It's always been my understanding that... well you couldn't. Did some searches on Google and all I found says you can't. One needs to upgrade to 98 before going on to XP...

So how reliable is the Sybex book then overall?

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

As far as i have learnt, you can not "directly" upgrade from 95. It needs to be an upgrade to 98 or probably even ME first. I would ignore that error. Maybe check the website for the book and see if its listed as an error on there.

Technically though they are right. As it could be done indirectly as above.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Just checked the Errat section on Sybex. Nothing there.
    True the statement is not "False", but the wording doesn't make it "True"
    I know 95 should be updated to 98 before going on the XP. I'd be curious what MS-Press
    says specifically on the subject of the upgrade path.

Wonder how many "true-ish" statements like this one can be found in the Sybex book.

EDIT:
    So let's suppose the question arises in the exam. They ask if Windows 95 can be upgraded
    to Windows XP.
    Depending on how you look at it, the answer can be "yes" and "no". If in the multiple choice
    makes no mention that you need to upgrade it first to 98, what would one say?

4. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Think the MCDST book says that you can "not" upgrade from 95. The times i remember it mentioned always had that "directly" used which made it easier to understand. I am sure any exam will echo the MS Press books more so than Sybex. If that question comes up i am sure you will be grinning now.:D

I had a few questions like this in the exam recently and it is annoying because you know the answer but they are playing games with you leaving you with opportunities to be both right and wrong.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

From Microsoft.

Windows 95 can be upgraded to Windows 98 and 2000

Which means, Yes, they can be upgraded to XP using that route, however, you will need to note the system requirements for XP.

Yes they *technically* are right, but in the in the real world, if you are using the original hardware that was running Windows 95, then upgraded to Windows 2000 and then upgraded to Windows XP, do you really think it will run smoothly?

6. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

I know you can upgrade to XP via 98/ME/2000
    It's just that the statement in the book makes it appear as you can jump right from 95 to XP.

Will it run smoothly? LOL
    Ok, so technically right... hmm... So like I mentioned before, how many more "true-ish" or "technically right" statements are made in the Sybex MCDST book?... I wonder.

Guess this proves why one shouldn't use only one source of study...
    Good thing I have more then 1 book.

7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have seem similar discrepancies in books with upgrading to XP Pro from XP Home.

Its why i don't rely on any one source

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Although it's possible to upgrade 95 to XP, it's not a microsoft-specified upgrade path.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

This is odd because my Sybex A+ book says that Windows 95 can not directly upgrade to XP, it recommends upgrading to 2000 first, this recommendation is because the book only truelly covers 2000 and XP since they are the most prevalent on the A+ exam. Upgrading to 98 is a viable option as well since it can upgrade directly to XP. It is just odd how two books from the same company put out totally different information.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  10. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

I agree with you, it IS odd. Should this little discrepancy be caused for concern regarding the rest of the book? Have anyone else noticed little "differences" with other Sybex, or any other publisher, like this one?

11. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

The route of upgrading 95 to either 98/nt 4 with sp5/2000 before XP is covered in the ms press book

but like you say ... Really MS recommends clean installs over upgrades.

This is not to say its not in the objectives, which it is.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you look at the original post you'll see that Sybex don't claim it's possible to directly upgrade 95 to XP, only that it is possible to upgrade 95 to XP. The OP added in the directly part themselves.
    It doesn't make it very clear that there is a difference between a possible upgrade and a Supported Upgrade Path.
    I don't have the book but I assume the sentence in question comes just after a list/table of Supported Upgrade Paths

13. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Nope, no where in the book do they mention the fact you need to upgrade to 98/ME/2000 first.
    Like someone mentioned, it is technically correct since you can upgrade from 95 to XP, it's just that
    the sentence from the book makes it look like it can be done directly.
    In MS-Press book, they do point out this detail.. they also have a nice table illustrating upgrade paths.

14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I still don't see where you're getting the implied "directly" from. There must be something in the preceding text that leads you to mentally insert it.
    That sentence is a good advert for not relying on one study source though. 100% accurate but inadequately explained. I misinterpreted it the first time I read it as well, although I may have been thrown by your use of "directly" just before it.

15. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

So here's a scan of the page, too lazy this morning to type everything.
    Anyway, true they don't mention you can upgrade it directly from '95, but they
    do mention that depending on the hardware and software installed will determine
    whether or not you'll have a successful upgrade.

On the next page, "Using the upgrade adviser" on the MS website, they mention
    if you are upgrading from 98 or ME, the upgrade adviser may suggest you uninstall
    a few programs before going on to the upgrade... They take the time to inform of
    this possibility, but they don't mention the little detail about upgrading from

Perhaps that I was paranoid, and read something that isn't there....
    Oh well, sorry then. LOL

Attached Files:

16. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Just to reiterate what everyone above says, there is no direct upgrade path between 95 or 95 osr2 to XP, you have to go through 98 first.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291