Upgrade MCSE to Server 2008

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sparky, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just been reading through the requirements to upgrade to Server 2008 if you are already MCSE on Server 2003. Looks like it is only one (probably very difficult) upgrade exam.

Anyone already thinking of doing the exam when it is released?

Details
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windowsserver2008/default.mspx

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you wrong mate.. the upgrade exam will upgrade you to 3 MCTS, you then need to take the MCITP exam and a client exam to be certified as a Enterprise Admin!

Have a look at these slides i posted a few weeks ago... LINK

So no matter what cert you hold know.. you still looking to do atleast 2 exams to get the enterprise cert.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the interesting information Zimbo.

With reference to this information, and information at MS about specific aspects of the new certifcation tracks....

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/default.mspx

...it appears that the harder MCITP certification does not YET have discrete certifications for messaging and security respectively.

I can undertand that security cerrts are now 'embedded' in the other exams ...but the only MCTS foe exchange refers to one exam?

Possibly MS will release a MCITP Exchange 2007 Enterprise certification at some stage ??

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  4. Crito

Crito Banned

Why would anyone who intends to complete their MCSE take the MCSA upgrade path? I mean, becoming an MCSE won't magically turn your 648 into a 649. You'd still have to pass the extra test for MCTS: Application Platform Configuration. So there's actually a disincentive to completing your MCSE if you go that route.

Might have tried 648 or 649 otherwise. Now it'll have to wait until after I get around to 294 and 297, which might not be until MS announces their retirement. :ohmy

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

You are correct there will be no security and messaging specialization as there is now.. BUT there already is exxchange 2007 certs:

TS: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
    Pro: Designing Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
    Pro: Deploying Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Im confused, it says on the slides that you only need to take the 649 exam. :blink

Edit: I take 'Enterprise admin' is the real deal? <sigh> Why didnt they just keep the MCSE cert?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Have Microsoft ever made any sense? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Look at slide 18.. you take 649 to upgrade to the TS's then you need to take a client exam aswell as the MCITP exam so in total 3 exams to get to Enterprise Admin from MCSE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for that! - I have updated my favourites lists for Microsoft training for when I get to it...

The certfication treadmills never stops...[Laughs maniacally]

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff