Upgrade Exam - Same Day/In Advance?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Gav, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

I was wondering if it'd be possible to either:
    a) book an upgrade exam for the same day as one of the prerequisite exams
    b) book an upgrade exam in advance, before passing one of the prerequisite exams

I doubt I'd end up doing three exams on one day, so a is probably irrelevant, but I would like to book the two MCDST exams one day with the Vista/7 upgrade exams shortly afterwards, perhaps on consecutive days.

Thanks,

Gav

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I believe the answer is yes.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes you should be able to but I don't know if you are allowed to take the upgrade one if you don't pass the pre-requisite exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Can't remember where I read it, but if you do take the upgrade exam without the pre-requisite exam(s) you don't get the credit for it until you have them (that was a while ago though).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys, CF to the rescue again :biggrin

Gav

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cheers Ken

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys. I've booked the 70-271 and 70-272 on the same day, and then the 70-621 and 70-681 on another day.

I've only left a two hour gap (the biggest gap possible) between the 271 (2hrs30mins) and the 272 (3hrs). Would I be right in thinking that, along as the test centre doesn't object, this won't be a problem? I can't imagine that I'd need the full 2hrs30mins for 271 will I?

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'm not sure but I think the time given is your appointment duration, not the exam length. A quick search throws up figures of 90 mins and 120 mins for the 271. Leaving half an hour for registration, signing out and a little bit of time for the candidate to compose themselves seems logical so it looks like the 271 will be allocated 120 mins.

How long you take will entirely depend on how well prepared you are, what questions you get and how many questions you get. I'll guess at approx 90 minutes for the 271, which is iirc how long it took me and I've seen others quoting that same figure.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job