Updated CV - Need some feedback, please!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sellotape, Mar 3, 2008.

1. sellotape

sellotape New Member

Hi,

I applied for about 25 jobs last week but not had much response so far so decided to make some changes to my CV. I would be grateful of some feedback/honest opinions as to my updated CV before reuploading to various jobsites.

I say "not much response so far", however, I do have an interview for a IT Support Engineer work placement (8 weeks, unpaid) tomorrow. I know it's unpaid but they sound like a good company and the 'real world' experience could be invaluable plus I did ask if there could be a chance of being offered a job at the end of 8 weeks and he replied "absolutely", but let's see how I get on tomorrow first.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
  2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hmm.

The obvious thing which jumps out is that your CV isn't tailored towards the IT job market, with the exception of the introductory paragraph. Anyone who sees it is going to wonder what experience you actually have, and when and how you got it; they'll also probably be put off by the job titles on there, especially as that implies you may not be as comfortable working in less senior roles.

Do you have any IT certs/training which you could add on there, as that could help balance your CV out more?

It's definitely rewriting your CV to make it specific to IT roles - probably most people on here have several versions of their CV depending on what role they're applying for.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

The Professional Profile is way too wordy and uses a lot of words to say not much really. Try and reduce it to a couple of lines and say what you are able to offer to and what you are looking for, from any potential employer .. ie effective and high quality networking and technical support blah blah (and btw doesn't "relishes new challenges" actually mean "gets bored easily")

It may appear to some that as you have had senior management positions that is what you are looking for now. However you may want to try and keep each of the previous jobs you've had down to 3 bullet points each, and lose the bit about cold-calling, that just doesn't sound quite right, a director of a company making cold calls .. the directors I know get someone else to do that.

You also say that they are e-commerce companys, however neither of them seem to have much of a web presence, other than being ebay shops!
    Be honest, prospective employers will check up on work history and there is a fine line between elegantly wording your resume and going over the top.(ie Keeping abreast of changes in the industry and competition in the market = surfin' the net & going to HMV)

I'm just trying to offer an honest opinion.

You appear to have some good business experience and sound technical acumen so I'm sure you will find success soon.
    Best of luck with the work experience.

4. sellotape

sellotape New Member

Thanks guys for your input and you're right it does sound a bit over the top!!

I'll be honest here and say that I didn't actually write it myself, it was done by one of those CV writing companies on the internet. I should have stuck with the one that I wrote myself as it's a more honest account of me and would have saved me some money as well!!!

Perhaps you could give me your opinions on my old CV?

I realise that it is not going to be easy to find a job without any real commercial experience but "Success is a marathon, not a sprint" and with a positive attitude, determination and help from this great site I'm sure I'll find something.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
  5. redcard

redcard Bit Poster

Looking at both of them I would have guessed the 2nd one was done 'professionally'. Looks a lot more clean and pleasant to read