Update on MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

From Microsoft

We’ve been getting a lot of questions about the EDST, so I thought I’d post what I think you want to know in one tidy package.

Requirements
    To earn the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 credential, you’ll need to take the following exams:

70-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring
    70-685: Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
    Both exams are currently available at Prometric.

Upgrading
    You can upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 from the following credentials:

MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician (Windows Vista)
    MCDST (Windows XP)
    You’ll need to take the following exam:

70-682: Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

The upgrade exam is planned for release in the February/March time frame. We’ll post something here when we have more specific details.

HDI?
    Back in July we announced a partnership with HDI (Help Desk Institute) relating to the Enterprise Desktop Administrator credential. In November we promised that we’d have more details by the end of December. December came and went. We still don’t have the full details, but I can tell you that the HDI certification will not be required to earn the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 credential.

See here.

-Ken

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the update Ken, much appreciated!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Therefore... presumably 70-682 counts as 70-680 in all certification paths? (Same as the 70-621 upgrade exam counting as 70-620?)

If that's the case, then I may as well wait and take 70-682 when it's released, instead of taking 70-680 as my MCSE elective.

Hmm... :hhhmmm

Thoughts, Ken?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Kitkatninja

Most likely it will, if that's the case, then yes, I would say do the upgrade exams instead :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the info Ken - interesting that you can do a XP -> 7 upgrade whilst missing out Vista completely.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Smart move by MS really, as much as Vista is seeing some use in corporate IT there are still far more companies skipping Vista altogether in favour of Win7.

And nice to know that MS aren't forcing the HDI partnership path on us, would have been fairly ridiculous if they had IMO.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Thanks for the update Ken!!

Shame MS hasn't publicised this earlier, looking at the MS learning portal there isn't any mention of the 70-685 as a credit towards the MCITP: EDST. They just seem to list the 70-680 and 70-686 for windows 7 (MCITP: EDA).

Well I have bought the book for the 70-680, but will probably wait for the 70-682 upgrade.

8. Col

Col Byte Poster

Does anybody have any further info on when these exams (particularly the 682) are going to be released?

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  9. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

Great stuff thank you.

This will be the my next target after exchange.

Certifications: N+ MCSA
    WIP: Exchange
  10. Kitkatninja

In theory, the 70-682 should be released sometime this month.

-ken

11. Col

Col Byte Poster

I thought so. Next on my list, I think. Thanks again.

12. Kitkatninja

The 70-682 should be out sometime this week, according to Ken from MS (not me) :)

-Ken

13. Col

Col Byte Poster

Cheers, Ken(s)

14. Jonny70

Jonny70 Bit Poster

15. Col

Col Byte Poster

Yep. It's live on Prometric. Excellent. With regards to study materials, I'm guessing that getting the books/prep for the 70-680 would be the way to go?

16. Qs

Awesome. :D

Right, time to ask for the company credit card so I can get myself booked in asap.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  17. Kitkatninja

Don't forget about the free second shot :)

-ken

18. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Do we have to do the Enterprise Support Technician Exam as well?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  19. Qs

Already got a pile of them standing by (25+ or something ridiculous) :p

There are three vanilla Windows 7 exams, and one upgrade:-

Vanilla
    70-680, TS: Windows 7, Configuring
    70-685, MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
    70-686, MCITP: Windows 7, Desktop Administrator

Upgrade
    70-682: Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

70-682 effectively counts as 70-680 and 70-685 (the same as the old Vista upgrade 70-621 counted for 70-620 and 70-622).

As long as you have either MCDST or MCITP:EST then you can take the 682, pass, and gain the two new certs, namely:

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7
    MCTS: Configuring Win 7

Qs

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  20. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

thanks mate.

Guys,

Can get a sticky with the latest BETA exam information from MS?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3