Unsure of this design

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Andy_M, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

Hi all!

We have a server rack at the moment with two switches feeding the servers its daily dose of network traffic,
    each of the switches is connected to a separate gigabit feed of which both feeds go back to the main Campus network rack (unknown devices in here but looks impressive with patch panels and around four Extreme Switches).

My question.

I would like to connect both of out switches together without creating a storm or loop, I am only doing my ICND1 so unsure what spanning tree is but think its the protocol I am after.

I am planning on replacing both our switches for two Cisco SLM2024. Would connecting these devices to the normal feeds and connecting the switches together be ok? I am just concerned the switches in the network rack may not work, I don't know if all devices on the network need STP or if the two connecting need it only? is it a crossover cable if I do? will it speed the network up or just be redundancy if the link feed goes down on one?

Any advice welcome

WIP: CCNA
  2. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

[​IMG]

3. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

The purple line is what I am talking about

4. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

It will be a crossover cable because the two devices being connected are the same TYPE of device.

If you was to add the purple line as a cable then this would work as a redundant link AS LONG AS SPANNING TREE IS TURNED ON (Default is on).

If it was me, i would change the spanning tree root bridge to be the switch on the right and then the new link would be in a forwarding state and be used all the time. This would make the blue cable top left to be your redundant link if your new one fails. all.

This all depends on what is in the communication rack aswell by the way! if you change the root bridge then it might wreak havoc on the network...... THIS WOULD BE FUNNY for me to read about but would not be funny for you! :-)

I would probably do more than that the above if it was my network (vlans..... rstp per vlan... play with root bridges on each vlan etc...), as i am a tinkerer (dangerous!! but learning with everything i break! :-D )

Now someone is free to come and tell me i am talking rubbish and put me back in my box! More than likely BOSON_Michael he always points out my FLAWS .... :-(

Cheers
    Jon

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  5. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I'll get in there first then, it's flaws not floors. :biggrin

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  6. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

by the way... to work out if spanning tree is turned on, there is always a quick tst of creating a loop and seeing if the network loses the plot? :-)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
  7. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

I done exactly the same yesterday and my colleague pointed that out!

My feeble excuse is that it is before 9 and its thursday :blink..... Wednesday @ 12 is when i work at my best :duel but after that leading up to fridays my brain starts to shut down :confused3 ! Monday is better than a friday:inv but still need to work up to wednesdays brain power only to go back down again! (such a viscious circle!!)

Jon
    :devilflam

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So... is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Without knowing what data is being sent and why it needs to flow through the communications rack, I didn't know why the network was set up the way it is, so I didn't respond. Only thing I can recommend regarding STP is to make sure you know where your root is.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Good thing.... its always good to see where you are going wrong so you know next time! thats the whole point in learning isnt it?? 8)

10. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

As you have said, you really need to know the network, including what is in the comms rack! If it was my network then i would make sure i had that information by either being provided with it or by LOOKING myself. :biggrin

My "Gun-Ho" approach is really not the best unless you are confident you know what you are doing or are aware of the implication of what you are changing and the effects! :twisted:

Jon

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good... I didn't want you to think I'm some flaw-picker who likes to chew people down rather than someone who likes to build people up. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!