Unsure of revision materials

Discussion in 'A+' started by Colder, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Colder

Colder New Member

Hi, I wish to self study the A+ exam however I am unsure of which materials to purchase, I have searched the forum and this book is constantly recommended:

CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) by Mike Meyers

However there is no unit on Windows 7? I believe there is an 8th edition to be released, the date I am unsure of. What should I do in this case? I don't want to purchase another edition in the future to learn Windows 7

2. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

It's your call, but...
    Have you ever seen those makeover shows, where you get Martha from some estate somewhere and she's fat, got bad skin, bad hair and a cigarette hanging out her mouth, she dresses like a man and swears like a sailor. Then they stop her living off Yorkie bars, take her to a gym for a few weeks, teach her some ettiquete, cut her hair, slap her in a dress, high-heels, get a beautician to cover her in foundation, eyeliner and lipstick and then the audience are all amazed that she looks half-decent now. That's Windows 7.

The two have so much in common it's ridiculous. There are a few new features that came with 7 that you should probably look into, like Aero Snap, Libraries, the new taskbar, Bitlocker To Go and that kind of stuff. But other than that 7 is just Vista with lipstick.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you want to look into why Windows 7 is far better than Vista look here :-

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Kernel Changes :: Sessions :: Microsoft PDC10 | October 28 — 29
    Mark Russinovich: Inside Windows 7 Redux | Going Deep | Channel 9

There is a lot more to the workings of an OS then the high level applications / user visible features. Major improvements were made to the kernel as well as other areas.

So really its like you took a fat lazy person and trained them for a year for the Iron Man, but they still wear the same tracksuit. Looks similar but performance and build is vastly improved.

But yeah Vista was a fat slag... :wink:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Okay, I stand corrected.

But from the point of view of what you'd need to know for the A+... aside from Aero features, HomeGroups, Libraries and BitLocker to Go, I can't think of much you'd need to learn. If you seriously studied an A+ book for Vista, and then played around with these new features, I can't imagine you'd have many problems.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?