Unsuccessful and slow logon

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by lifeisshortmove, Jul 10, 2011.

1. lifeisshortmove

lifeisshortmove Bit Poster

I'm playing with VMs and I had a problem with a user logon. I enter a valid username/password but it was not working. I am sure capslock is not pressed. I ended up changing the password for that user account from Active directory users and computers. Anyway, if that happens in real life, what are the things I should check before resetting the password?

Another issue is slow logon, I noticed that with some users in my office (even though they don't have a lot of items on their desktop, start menu, etc) what could be the reason of slow logon?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

In many cases this can be caused by a DNS issue. The clients should be configured to resolve DNS from a DC at the same site if this is possible.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. lifeisshortmove

Actually, DC is located in the same site and this slow logon happens with 2 or 3 users others can logon normally

4. Sparky

Have you checked the DNS settings on the 2-3 users PCs? Also have you checked the event logs?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. lifeisshortmove

All client computers get DNS configurations from DHCP server. Anyway, I used ipconfig /all to make sure it gets the appropriate DNS server IP address.

Event log ...ok, I'll google the records that have the exclamation mark. I hope that I can find the reason.

Thanks for your help

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Could it be a roaming profile issue, I cant remember if it uploads and downloads the profile even if they are using the same pc? perhaps someone has a huge PST file in their profile or large folder of holiday snaps. if its only 2-3 users and everyone else is alright I might have a look at this.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Any DNS Appendixes, not configured in correct order?

any login scripts?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  8. lifeisshortmove

I don't know what are "DNS appendixes" :) and no login scripts.

9. Sparky

Perhaps check to see if the users have a roaming profile - if so check the size and location of it.