Unprofessionalism in the workplace

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by AgentDRL, Mar 25, 2010.

1. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

Hey all,

I wanted to get your main examples of the above that you have witnessed at your workplace or at any place you have worked. Here are some that I have witnessed in my time being gainfully employed, lol!

- At my last place, the network manager and network administrator had a massive argument in the middle of the office (opened planned office I might add). NA unclips the IP phone receiver to hurl it across at the NM, but three of us jumped on him to stop him doing that.

- Being threatened by a user who came down to the helpdesk to say I wasn't supporting him and would 'bang me out in a heartbeat'. Small problem of me being more than twice his size and half his age, but he could've been a ninja or something :blink

- Hearing office juniors 'make out' in the stock room which was right next to our stock room that stored IT equipment.

- When at uni, I used to work at Sainsbury's part time. The amount of pilfering in the warehouse by the staff was mind boggling!

- A colleague patching in another company's network (they were on the floor above in another office) so that they can get out onto the web undetected.

Some crazy stuff!

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Aah the crazy office world :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Working as an Operations Analyst for a telemessaging company (for a whopping $6/hr), one of my responsibilities was to look at call volumes for 13 branch offices and schedule operators to each shift. This was in the days before many people had e-mail, so I would fax requests to the 13 branches. Well, one week, someone had loaded the thermal fax paper in upside down. If you've ever worked with thermal fax paper, you know that it can only print on one side. So when the offices faxed their operator availability forms to me, all we got was blank pages.

I sent a fax to the branches asking them to resend their forms because the fax paper had been loaded upside down. The local branch manager took offense to this because she thought it made her look bad. So she sent a fax to the branch offices claiming that I was the one who loaded the fax paper in upside down.

I was livid... claiming that I did something that I didn't do is one of the quickest ways to get me upset. I complained to my supervisor (who was also the branch manager's boss). But I don't know if anything was ever done - if she was counseled, I never heard about it.

It was eventually revealed what kind of person she was when she was discovered doing something unethical... if I remember correctly, she was skimming money from the clients. She was immediately asked to resign. I can't say I was sad or surprised.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!