Unknown error 31

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jakamoko, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

Just trying to setup a bizarre network scenario - w98 laptop needs to connect to "server", running XP Pro. Can ping both ways- have all the shares set as I want them, but cannot access the shares on XP from w98 - I am getting "Unknown error 31" back.

Zonealarm dropped makes no difference - and I used to be ablt to achieve all the above when "server" was w2k.

I've also made sure identical user accounts exist on both machines, as this is a workgroup situation - any ideas ???

Ta in advance :(

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What do the event logs show?

Maybe check any unknown event id's at eventid.net.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

are you using blank passwords on the accounts?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks nugget - will check.

@Si - yes I am actually - I did wonder about that - should it affect things ? Simply cos I lost track of all the passwords for the various accounts whilst studying (sooo long ago) :oops:

Will try with a new account and password.

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes it can effect 9X connecting to XP with blank passwords. Unknown error 31 can sometimes be for this.

HTH

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for that Si - will try later :D

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Grrrrrrr :evil:

OK, so now I sorted out the "seeing shares" issue (thanks Si - new account + pw sorted it :D )

Now I'm installing the wireless USB adapters on each machine - both are registering fine in Device Manager(s) - but can I get connectivity ??? :(

So the main "server" - the XP box has my dial-up modem, the PCI NIC and now the WiFi adapter too. Laptop (w98) has variously the PCMCIA adapter and the USB WiFi (never together)

The wireless connection is set to be Ad-hoc, as no access point is being used - SSID is same on both. One thing - w98 lets me set a channel number for the connection, but XP doesn't seem to ?!?!?

Any more ideas, Guys ? :roll:

8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I have not played with a setup like this, but surely the XP box would treat the WI-FI card that you have fitted as a wireless access point, might be wrong on that one.

On my laptop there is an option for the WiFi card to scan for any channels in use, once it finds the channel that my wifi router uses......thats it, away you go. I take it you can ping from the XP box to the IP address assigned to the Wi-Fi card that you fitted to it. It could also be the case that you MUST have an access point for ANY of the Wi-Fi cards to connect.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, if I select Ad-hoc mode on both Wifi adapters, then I am able to bypass the need for a WAP on the network. I have set the SSID name for both to use.

But, although both are now set up accordingly (I think). I can't get IP adds for both at the same time, so I can't ping.

Given up for tonight, Derek - but thanks for those thoughts. I'll tackle the prob again tomorrow (after the Old Firm game :P )

10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've been helping somebody out with exactly the same thing.
    Same SSID, same entwork name, no channel option.
    No go :!:

Got them to buy a router in the end lol :!:

Bought one mesen, no wires, wahey :cheers