Universal Principal Names

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Boycie, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Would I be correct in saying the only real reason for using this is;

1) If the domain controller someone is logging on to isn't a GC and is using Cached credential mode.

2) If the name of the domain is long winded and therefore can be abbreviated to something else, or is different to the domain name of the Exchange mailboxes.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

sounds about right to me.

at work we encourage logging on using full upn's, since apparently this encourages the machine to authenticate to the fastest DC and provides a faster login, although im not entirely sure how accurate this actually is.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Fergal,

ah, that's an interesting point, thanks.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Note that the accuracy of this can vary as on occasion I have seen a client authenticate via a GC over a WAN link.

Note that in Windows Server the option to log on without using a local GC is mainly meant for offices without a local Exchange server.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff