Universal Driver DVD Ebay?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mattgrey, Feb 1, 2009.

1. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

On Ebay there are lots of these driver dvd/cd, such as item 260346422143

Has anyone ever used one of these and found the be of any benefit at all?

I recently had to do a fresh windows install for a friend on a very old PC. Windows did not have drivers for pretty much anything, and although the systems started it had very limited capablity, certainly no hope of getting it on line and no supplied driver disks etc... In such a situation, would this DVD have helped?

I don't expect the drivers to be signed and bang up to date, but the event of no driver present, do you think these disks help as a quick work around?

Thanks all.

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Never used one before but as long as you have a internet connection you should be able to get all the drivers you need and the latest versions as well.

Some PCs are difficult to rebuild, especially if its a home build. In some cases you might need to take the side off and have a look at some of the components and then Google it to get the right driver.

I would avoid the disk to be honest as even though some of the drivers may work they may be out of date and might not be as stable as a later release.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

Yeah, i wouldn't use them as a long term solution.

Thinking more of a quick fix to get a PC online to download the correct software. Thought this may be quicker than looking for board details, downloading on another PC and then transfering etc...

These disks go for just a few quid, I may buy one regardless just to see what is on it.

4. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I use these *every single day*. They're a wonderful idea, they really are. And once you've got them on there, you hit the web based Windows Update, use the custom option, and download all the optional hardware updates. Sorted.

Seriously, the amount of time saved using these is just amazing. You'll want to get hold of the UAA driver from Microsoft, and install that first on computers with HD audio chipsets (Before installing the relevant audio drivers, and probably modem drivers).

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I will second what Sparky has advised.

Plus... you never know exactly what you're getting on that CD - rootkits, spyware, you name it. Call me cynical... but I don't trust ANY CD that is put together by some random individual who is not affiliated with a trusted company.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I downloaded a '100,000 drivers' DVD a while ago to use at work. The DVD image is virus free and is an absolute godsend. It doesn't work 100% every time as some machines I come across use obscure drivers and are pretty ancient.

That said it is an excellent tool and I would not be without it for sure. A great timesaver!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  7. BosonMichael

Internet connection + Google = success, 100% of the time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

I do agree.

However....

If I am at a cust's house, had to do a clean install, I have no access to there internet connetion.

Device Manager is a sea of red......?

This is when I can see this type of CD/DVD being useful.

Do not get me wrong, I have no intention of using this to replace signed driver from manufacturers. More of a last resort to get a system running in the absence of the internet and google.

I will buy one to see what is on there, they go for a few quid. I'll let you know how I get on!

9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

That was pretty much my point. In a situation like that, this disk is a timesaving Godsend.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  10. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Other options are to slipstream drivers into a CD or DVD. MSFN forums have a lot of useful information on this and driverpacks.net provide a huge amount of drivers you can integrate into a build with Nlite or other similar tools.

How about getting a usb stick with internet access for those occasions when you are at the customer site and you have no internet access to get the required drivers?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  11. BosonMichael

I understand that - sure, it saves time, but I shouldn't have to buy a potentially dodgy universal driver disk just because the customer has lost his original install disks. ;)

Plus... that's why I carrry MY laptop around... if they've got an Internet connection, you can use it.

Just my opinion. :)

12. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I was stupid enough to reformat a laptop for a customer- one which we didn't have the drivers for :s
    Luckily there are tools like Everest or Belkin that can give you your motherboard model, and generally you can find drivers from there.

However, without an internet connection, a disk like that would be pretty useful :D

13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Sparkys right a dodgy driver installer would be a perfect way to install a rootkit, certainly shouldn't use such stuff on a customers or work PC, get a lappy and a 3G card instead.

Virus scanners are not 100% effective, they can easilly miss new threats and viruses in archives or exe installers.

As mentioned the drivers may be out of date or for an old OS version, also depending on the license it may be illegal to redistribute in this manner.

14. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Any links to these discs? Preferably an iso :D

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You want my Universal Malware...err I mean Driver ISO ? No problem its great for helping out in all sorts of things....especially in creating a botnet for me...:D

Just think of it as a 'Universal Driver' providing remote access to a machine, very handy !