Uni stuff

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Jun 11, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ive decided to go down th UNI route so that i can get a degree in computing. I have to do whats known as an access course as i was a bit of a lad in school etc.

Now this course seems to hbe taking forever and i ahvent even started it yet , ive rang them up aqnd basically they say ill get a letter mid june, with a view to starting in july. Now i know that this will be able to be done, but i still think its a long toime to wait to be honest. I should of ahd an interview in may but they messed up my application.

Has anyone else who has done the uni route and some sort of access course to get in had any problems ??

Cheers for youhelp

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi zxspectrum,

I did the Uni route and I didn't have to go thru the Access Program (I was taken on-board as a Mature Student for the BSc Computing P/T).

I'm not sure what else you have done: other certs/experience may be taken into consideration by the Uni. In my case it was the NVQ2 and a couple of C&G's. Check out this Uni where I studied for info . Granted each Uni is different, but they "should" all have some sort of basic foundation in standards. And I'm assuming that you're over 21 years old.

Have a word with the course leader and see what they say. Don't give up on this, as this may well help you in the future.

-Ken :D

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I applied as a mature student with just IGCSEs - which were bad but uni's understood this because of the situation i was in in zimbabwe. I did 3/4 of a diploma (HND) in Computer Science, showed im working on professional qualifications that would show im willing to learn Computer Networks (my degree program at Middlesex Uni) and that im in the industry already. You will 90% be called for an interview and this is were you will need to shine and show you want to study computers because you know what you talking about and not like some kid fresh out of A-levels who knows how to work out calculus for breakfast. Like i found out the UK goverment is trying to promote people to get degrees so the plus signs are all on your side.

word of caution you might want to contact your Uni ASAP because i know UCAS closed their application process long ago!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well i have applied already and thats the bit thats dragging , evenm my finance appears to be getting sorted out faster than the actual course lol. Anyway i do have a level 2 NVQ, tho this is in motor vehicles and ive been doing my english and maths. Ive sat 3 exams i know ive passed the first 2 im sure i passed the second eglishon and im very certain ill pass the other maths one. Depending what score i get ie 38 out of 40 that would be the eqivalent of a gcse a grade ive been told. Thanks for your help guys ill be on the phone tomorrow and hopefully i can bypass the access course and got stariaght tothe computing degree one

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

hope all goes well :D

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

nothing wrong with doing fountain degrees or HND's which you van top up to a degree... in the end you end up with a normal degree! :biggrin good luck to you for september! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics