Uni and certs...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by DrewDude, Jan 15, 2009.

1. DrewDude

DrewDude New Member

Hey, i applied for an academy called 'Zenos' in December, if your not familiar with it:

Its an academy offering a 5 month intesive course followed by a 12 month work & training course.
    At the end of the course you should have achived: MCDST, Adv. Diploma for IT Practitioners, N+, MCSA, Adv. Apprenticeship Cert.

Anyway, im not sure if ive used the correct section of the forum, but my question is:

Is there any way of entering university with the above qualifications?

btw. : Im currently in my last year at school, thats why ive applied for Zenos now as i dont want to go the college root for various personal reasons.

Thx

Certifications: AN2, ECDL
  2. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Firstly, what sort of guarantee do you have that you'll have got *any* of those certifications? Secondly, I doubt that a university would recognise any of the above until you were a 'mature student' with years of experience and several more.

How much did you spend on this, by the way?

Edit: Forgive my cynicism, I've looked at the site, and the programme they offer seems to be reasonably sound. However, I think that it's going to be a really steep climb from 0 - *all of those certs*. Really steep. I can see you maybe getting the MCDST, but not MCSA. The others tend not to be as recognised as Microsoft/CompTIA at entry level.

Good luck and all, but try to keep a realistic view of what you're going to come out with. Also, grab yourself some books or such, and start studying some of the A+ material. It'll give you what you need to 'hit the ground running'.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  3. DrewDude

DrewDude New Member

hmm..
    1) i never said id done the qualifications, i only stated the qualifications that i could possibly gain throughout the course.

2) I havnt spent or will spend anything.. its a free to join academy for 16-18/19 year olds
    3) i didnt really see any point to your reply.. my question was if : MCDST, MCSA, N+, AAC, ADITP give any UCAS points or enable university entry.

4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I agree. Universities will usually look for the general qualifications gained from College or 6th Form's (A Levels, BTEC's etc) . They do occasionally let people in (mature students) who have equivilant experience.
    It would depend on the university though.

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm sure this came up recently on the forums.

Do a search and I'm sure you'll find the discussion.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I don't know why you just don't go straight to college to do the above courses? Anyway, that's your choice...

Ok with an Advance Apprenticeship (level 3 or above) you can then move on to University level courses like the HNC & HND, you may be able to enter a BSc/BA program*. May I assume that you achieved your GCSE's?

*this is down to the individual University that you apply to.

Five years after gaining the Advance Apprenticeship (at level 3), provided you meet the other requirements you can apply for the LCGI from City & Guilds which is a level 4 award, which is comparable to a Foundation Degree**.

**according to C&G's here

However please check with the Univeristy that you end up applying to as the above info is just general info. Each individual university have slightly different entry requirements.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. DrewDude

DrewDude New Member

finally a decent reply.. thanks for the information ken

&& to mattstevenson: ok thx for editing your reply.. && thanks for the good look and the advice , very helpfull.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When I went to uni I never saw anything about certs giving UCAS points and I doubt that has changed.

There is a thread on Zenos on CF use the search feature and you'll find it.

Personally I think you'd do better by going to college.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

UCAS is only used for full-time programs, many universities have alternative routes, such as part-time & mature, may they be considered on the basis of relevant experience acquired through employment, voluntary activity, independent study and/or recent formal study.

Advanced Apprenticeships (NVQ 3) sit at the same level of the NQF as A levels:

See here. As this is an IT certification forum, I'm assuming that you'll be doing IT.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Hi, I know it's been mentioned already - a couple of universities Thames Valley University being one of them will consider applications based on professional/technical skills, they may ask you to take a introduction year, it's a HND intro to the course to get you up to speed. Although, as already mentioned work experience in the industry and the certs would also get you in.

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator