Uni and Cert`s

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by decrash, Sep 20, 2012.

1. decrash

decrash New Member

I am currently studying Computer Networks in uni part time, still have 2 years left, 4,5 years in total. Should I start thinking about certifications too ? As i was thinking that they will get old by the time I will start looking for job ? I already have MCSA + messaging, but that was back 1 year ago and it is already useless as most of the companies are running server 2008 . Thanks

drum_dude likes this.
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I would say remain focused on your university course as if you put your mind on too many different projects then your university course may take a backseat.

I presume you are wanting to get more in to Networks than the Technician technical sides?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
    drum_dude likes this.
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A subject that has been covered a thousand times before on here.

As has already been suggested stick in wth your Uni. As a long term option it will undoubtedly be more valuable to you than certs.

You have already mentioned that you have the MCSA+ Messaging, and although this may be in 2003 it will still show to employers that you have the skills and ability to learn the technology as and when required. It could also help to show them that you have an understanding of what is really required it todays market place skill set and set you apart from other candidates who just have a degree expecting to walk into a job.

drum_dude likes this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Focus on your degree to get as high a grade as possible. A 2.1 or 1st will serve you well in life in my humble opinion. You are being wise to look into what certifications are about I'd say, although looking now could mean that it's all changed by the time you finish your degree so don't look to hard into it.

Once you get your degree, depending on what field interests you, a few more certs won't do any harm but don't become certified past your experience level. A new MCSE wouldn't hold much weight with no work experience not to mention make it really difficult to pass. Get your foot in the door of a company and make sure your certs match your experience, that's the key. Good luck

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    drum_dude likes this.
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Just enjoy uni and worry about certs later!!

Certifications: A few.
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Yep, agree 100% with everyone else! You need all the time you can get for your degree, so plow all your time and effort into getting a good grade!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...