unhappy man

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shadowwebs, May 9, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

So here's how it goes... I have been the interim helpdesk supervisor for the last 9 months, the job comes up to become permanent and I have to apply, within the job requirements are many things which are not even required to do the job, but you know how these things go.

So I send in my application and find out a week later it's been rejected as I am not ITIL certified.

Surely there is something wrong with this as I have been doing the job successfully without problems for 9 months, writing system downs and other procedures which have all been approved to be sent to the team.

not a happy man

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, I'd say it was a pre-req for this kind of job.

I was able to 'fill-in' here when we were between supervisors, but was unable (and unwilling anyway...) to apply for the full-time post due to the lack of ITIL.
    I have thought about taking it but want to keep as technical role as I can and not start project-overview stuff instead.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Don't mistake ITIL with Prince2 as ITIL is not project related but actually service related. Not being ITIL certified will definitely start to be a problem for people in larger organisations as they start to adopt the framework for their environments.

I am seeing more places requiring ITIL as a requirement for job roles. For example my place are now putting all the technical people through ITIL training from the EUC team to the GNOC as well as Networks, Server and Telecoms teams, these are not project managers but engineers. The reason and logic behind this is that it gives that person a better understanding of how and why the business and IT do what they do.

Yes it's a dry subject and not everything fits into your company but it's definitely worth looking at.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

As above, one place I worked previously put everyone in the department through the foundation course, from the Head of IT down to the admin girl.

Used to give one of our team mates a ribbing as he was the only one to ever fail it, he never bothered to retake it :)

5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

No, sorry, that was my reason not to apply for the post -the Supervisor role here is very "administrative/project overview" oriented where I currently work.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have recognised so many jobs ask that you know ITIL but isn't ITIL really just a mix up of the English Dictionary and a Theosaurus as it's all just about "use this word, not that word".

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  7. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

ITIL is the framework, it defines processes for change management and for raising and managing incidents etc.

You're right in that there is a specific workding for averything in ITIL but it's main purpose is for defining the processes etc.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

They wanted someone ITIL aware, you think ITIL is just a bunch of synonyms. I can see their point.

EDIT: I should also add that I can see why you are a bit p1ssed. If you had only been standing in for a month or two while they got someone else in, fair do's, but 9 months and no heads up on the ITIL cert requirement is a bit harsh.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job