Undo a partition?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Ulrich200, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Ulrich200

Ulrich200 New Member

Hi I'm new to these forums.

Well I tried to install Ubuntu Linux On my external drive. In the partition section I accidentally choose the whole drive. Well the installation failed and now I can't use my drive in vista:cry:. Is there a way to undo it?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can buy software like partition magic but if you have overwritten your first OS you might have to wipe your hard drive and install windows and re-partition from scratch.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

If you used the whole drive for Ubuntu, it will depend on how far into the installation you got before the fail as to whether there is anything left of any data that was there before.

And if it formatted the drive after partitioning it then there won't be anything left.

To get it back as a data drive for Vista use the Disk Management tool (or whatever Vista calls this - I don't use Vista) to clear out the old partition and put a Windows filesystem back on.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Ulrich200

Ulrich200 New Member

Thanks! I was able to undo it using a combination of the gnome partition editor and vistas disk manager.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

There's a great LiveCD I use for this sort of thing (expecially useful if you're ever in need of re-partitioning a virtual machine or expanding a Windows boot drive) - its basically the Gnome Partition Editor and nothing else, making it small, quick to download and easy to boot from. Grab it here: GPartEd

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em