Underpowered PCs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Baba O'Riley, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering, I know an underpowered rig can cause graphical instabilities and crashes, but could it potentially cause a reduction in frame rates in 3D games as well?

Ta.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If that's the only problem that you're experiencing then I'd probably say no, and that it is more than likely the card itself.

I am However no gamer or top end hardware enthusiast, so I'm probably wrong. :blink

3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

tried lowering the res and updating grfx drivers, remember to set a restore point as some newer drivers are sometime more unstable than the prior ones.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd agree with thecheekmaster. Frame rate in games is a function of the graphics card and it's drivers first of all, with processor speed coming next.

Reducing resolution and detail will help to speed up a slow card, but obviously with a loss of quality.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Baba O'Riley

Thanks guys, I thought not.

The strange this is, although I've only tried this with the demo of X3 with benchmarking enabled, turning down the res and turning off AA and AAF etc had no effect on the frame rate at all.

I've never had a problem until last week I bought Quake 4 and seem to be getting some ploppy frame rates (15 - 20 fps @ 1280x1024). I have a 3.6 Ghz P4 with HTT, 2GB DDR400 and a GeForce 7800 GTX so I was a little dissappointed with these frame rates even though nothing is overclocked. I haven't installed the patch for Quake 4 that takes advantage og HTT/Dual-cores yet, and I'm going through tweaking the drivers for the GP at the mo, so I'll see if it has any effect.

6. Baba O'Riley

Panic over, fiddled about a bit and now I'm getting 50-60fps without lowering any settings :) . Now I'm off to install the beta patch and see what difference that makes.