Unable to run Live progs on XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Juspaul, May 13, 2008.

1. Juspaul

Juspaul Bit Poster

This is a mega niggle with my laptop.

I'm running XP Pro 2003, nothing live seems to work!! msn messenger, microsoft Live, etc, etc,

I've tried reinstalling .net frameworks, to no avail. The only thing I think could have stuffed it is uninstalling Norton AV completely. Knowing my luck its just a setting I've missed somewhere???

Any advice greatfully Recieved

Certifications: C&G Print Origination
    WIP: A+, CIW
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

how did you uninstall norton, did you use add/remove programs or the norton remove tool from their web-site?

I can't see how doing either would have screwed messenger etc.

If it was the full norton security package with the firewall, maybe the firewall you are using now is blocking the use of messenger and the other apps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

As GBL has mentioned, I'd run the Norton removal tool and see if that eradicates the issue.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Juspaul

Juspaul Bit Poster

Tried the removal tool, it cleaned up alot of dead registry links, Many thanks.
    Still no luck with running live though, I've just recalled other programs that don't work, Google Earth and Explorer 7!!! (luckily I use Firefox which is perfectly okay).

5. greenbrucelee

what firewall are you using now?

download ccleaner which is free and see if that further cleans up any registry related issues and unused extensions.

I use ccleaner on a regular basis to keep my machine as free as possible from issues that can occur from removing programs.

6. Juspaul

Juspaul Bit Poster

Cheers GBL, ccleaner is fantastic, cleaned out 207mb, systems feels like its flowing a little better.

Still doesn't run live stuff, lol, I'm just using the windows firewall and windows defender, AV is Kaspersky 6

7. greenbrucelee

uninstall Live and reinstall it and see what happens, somethings got screwy somewhere along the line.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Your main problem is that Internet Explorer 7 doesn't work. IE7 is an integral part of windows and is a key component for many things to work properly.

Check the settings under Tools > Internet Options > Connections. Make sure you have the correct boxes ticked (relating to your connection and your ISP) and any info in Lan Settings ie proxy server configured the same as in Advanced > Network Settings in Firefox.

if no joy there, try re-installing IE7.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Juspaul

Juspaul Bit Poster

Thanks for all your help guys.

Bluerinse you were spot on, because IE7 was screwed it was messing up everything else. Reinstalled and reconfigured it and hey presto, back to reality.

Thoroughly recommend ccleaner thanks for that Bruce.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad to be of help 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)