Unable to connect using mstsc/console

Discussion in 'Networks' started by novice_user, Sep 9, 2008.

1. novice_user

novice_user New Member

Unless I am going completely mad I used to use from the command line mstsc/console/f to access our win 2003 server over a vpn. When I try to connect now, it brings up a box saying command not recognised. If I just use mstsc/console I am able to connect but this connects just as a rdp user.

This problem seems to have arisen since win xp service pack 3 has been installed. Any ideas please ?

2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Found this. Looks like it is to do with SP3.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - loved this when it hit a few months back.

MS, in their infinite wisdom, changed the switches in RDP version 6.0 (rolled out a few months back via Windows Update and as part of XPSP3). The 'console' switch no longer works and has been replaced by 'admin'. We used to use Visionapp's free RDP software to manage all our TS sessions but RDP 6 completely broke it - and, since they are refusing to release a freeware version that supporets the new switch (expecting you to cough up for the paid version)... well, their loss is RoyalTS's gain

I used to use RoyalTS in the past - my new place converted me to Visionapp because they all used it - but now I've converted them to RoyalTS (mwuhahahahahaaaa)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

As mentioned in the article, the /admin switch pretty much does the same thing now. So use that. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I hadn't heard of this util Zeb, it looks great. Thanks matey, rep added!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

For RDP I use RD Tabs by Avian Waves.

The only problem I've found with it so far is that it only brings a 16 bit interface to the rdp session while connecting to a 2008 server.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

You can use the Remote desktops snap-in in mmc to run the console sessions as well. Not sure if it gets broken if you've upgraded RDP though!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

ooooooohhhh......RoyalTS....like it....like it a lot :D

nice find.

Jiggy.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's