unable to add an additional dc

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by simongrahamuk, Feb 25, 2008.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Visited a site today which is having a strange problem, they have an existing domain with with their 2 dc's running win 2003. They also have a member server which runs exchange 2007.

Their 3rd dc died the other day and they have restored it effectively as a new server with a new name, however when they come to dcpromo the server they get the following error:

"active directory installation cannot continue because the forest in not prepared for installing win 2003. use adprep to prepare both the forest and the domain."

now i know that the domain is at the right level because they have existing 2003 dc's, what I also know is that when they installed exchange 2007 they had to forest prep the domain to accomodate it.

anyone got any ideas? :blink

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

should aslo have said that the failed dc held some of the fsmo roles, these have been siezed to one of the working dc's. 8)

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

ah ha!

existing servers 2003, new server 2003 r2! domain needs adprepping! :oops:

but how would this affect the forest prep that was done as part of the exchange 2007 install? :blink

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ooh, that's a good question! :ohmy One would hope that the R2 adprep stuff won't modify any of the schema classes and attributes created by the Exchange 2007 prep, but I don't know for sure. However, per this link, you should be fine to update the schema to R2.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!