UKONLINE Restriction

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mr.Cheeks, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Most people understand that unlimited means unlimited, however, when does the Fair Useage policy apply??

My previous ISP was Tesco.net, 1/2mb adsl, had a safecom modem, average around 30gbs per month, no complaints from them, <---> switched to UKonline, 2mb and upgraded to BT modem, averaging 60gb per month, actually cant really average, as i have only been with them for 2 months, and Jan was 57gb and feb was 64gb, anyway, but now they have emailed with the Fair Usage Policy palava :twisted: ...

My contention ratio is 33:1, so what do you guys reckon? so i switch ISP or would i be ok???

I have read somewhere, that the average user on unlimited service downloads around 10-12 gb per month? ...that cant be true can it???` :oops:

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i guess i'm far above average...

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Limit your downloads to during the off-peak times and you should be ok. (Not between 6pm - 11pm Weekdays or at all over weekends)

It's during these times that the most users are online and you are more likely to be noticed.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Its a shame none of you can get Telewest...I am on a 10Mb connection with no restrictions whatsoever...its mint...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Mr.Cheeks

The only thing i limit is my uploads, i always give at least the same amount as i recieve but just limit the upload speed.

@ Noel cheers for the telewest, i just checked their site and you can get the bb without subscribing to the tv / phone, so i might just check in with them, what is the realibility like and contention ratio???

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Mate there is no contention ratio cos they use a cable line and not a phone line...and yes u dont need to have tv or phone to use their broadband service cos all I have is the broadband service...its very reliable (altho it did have a tendency of dropping out late at nite but that was due to the recent upgrades). Now remember even tho ur on a 10Mb connection dont expect all the download speeds to be 1MB/s cos its where your downloading it from is where people dont understand...otherwise I will give u one example of the speed...about 3 weeks ago I downloaded a 4.5GB file and the speed was between 900KB/s and 1.5MB/s...so that gives u an idea of what u can expect...but you have to be in the area where u can get cable broadband...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. Mr.Cheeks

I am not fussed about the variation of speed, as it varies and its something that cant really be helped... ...im just glad its unlimited and there is no need to subscribe to another other packages...

im in the midlands and can get cable, i had it 3 years ago, when i had cable tv...

cheers...

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Download and install NetMeter for free. Simple, and does what it says on the tin. Right click the graph for a full table of daily, weekly and monthly u/l and d/l stats.

Can you tell I love it ? :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Mr.Cheeks

i use a similier util... netlimiter... :D