UK VMUG Meeting - 3rd November 2011

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by SimonD, Aug 5, 2011.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Details about the first UK Wide VMUG meeting can now be found on my site here.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

For those attending on the 3rd are you planning on travelling up the night before or on the day?

If the night before where are you planning on staying?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I can't go the day before the household management looked stormy enough when I said that I'd be out for most of that day, so I darn't push it!

Looking forward to it alot, just printed off the intinerary and circling the events I want to go to.

Are we up for having a vCF convergance at one of the breaks during the day?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'll be going up the night before, hopefully before 7 so I can pop along to the Veeam party :D haven't booked my room yet but chances are it will be the Novotel just at the airport

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'd go, but I'm in the middle of a lot of work at the moment - and it looks like it's about to go a bit mental here. I've just got back from VMworld - anyone else go?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Definitely sounds like a plan Dale :)

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have had a look at the sessions for Thursdays VMUG and so far have decided on the following sessions.

Session 1

Symantec
    Backup Exec and VMware: Best Practices

or

Xangati
    Blame Wars: The VI Admin Strikes Back

Session 2

The always excellent Julian Wood vSphere 4->5 upgrade

Session 3

Veeam
    Virtualization Data Protection, It’s Not Niche Anymore

Session 4

Duncan Epping/Frank Denneman - vSphere 5.0 Clustering Q&A

Session 5

Unknown, see what takes my fancy.

Anyone else decided on what they are going to do?

Oh and it looks like it's the Novotel for tomorrow night.

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes, I'm going to do:

10:15 Symantec Backup Exec and VMware: Best Practices
    11:15 Cormac Hogan vSphere 5.0 New Storage Features
    13:00 Probably the Veam one
    14:00 Frank & Duncan
    15:00 Not really sure about this nothing really grabs me might make a snap decision on the day.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Haven't really looked in depth yet but I'll defo be dropping into the PowerCLI bar and try get Alan to tell me how to reset a vCenter alarm to green lol, couldn't get the script to work that he sent me today

[Added]
    Xangati Blame Wars: The VI Admin Strikes Back
    Cormac Hogan vSphere 5.0 New Storage Features
    Veeam Virtualization Data Protection, It’s Not Niche Anymore
    Duncan Epping/Frank Denneman - vSphere 5.0 Clustering Q&A

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

For those of you who didn't attend I have to say you missed a cracking day.

The entire day was well organised and had plenty of content to keep everyone informed and entertained.

It was nice seeing industry rockstars such as Duncan Epping, Alan Renouf, Simon Gallagher, Jonathan Medd and Simon Seagrave all present and it was really good to finally get to meet some of them face to face.

There were a lot of vendors there showing off their wares as well as some excellent hands on labs from Veeam and knowledge bars covering the likes of PowerCLI and the mock VCDX panel by Simon Gallagher and Duncan Epping.

All in all this was a mini VMworld for the UK and well worth attending in the future.

From my perspective the only gripe I heard all day was the lack of decent cell or wireless access down there (we were in the bowels of the building for the most part) but apart from that everything was well organised and food\drinks plentiful.

Hats off to the VMUG team for a well delivered and exciting and fun filled day.

11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yep it was certainly an awesome day, I enjoyed the veam and symantec sessions, and naturally Duncans session was really interesting (i'll be updating a blog post based on a his answer to my question). The one complaint I would have had (apart from the lack of any connectivity at all) would have been the last session which was all vendor based and no communitys.

I would have loved to have seen the vTardis (that would have pushed my buttons on at least 2 levels) :biggrin

Overall it was great meet SimonD and ThomasMC for some serious vGeekery plus free grub can't be bad!

Brace for impact boys the sales calls will start on Monday!