UK police: 'We need crime breathalysers for PCs'

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

UK police: 'We need crime breathalysers for PCs'

UK police are hoping to one day develop a breathalyser-style tool for computers that could instantly flag up illegal activity on any PC it's attached to.

Detective superintendent Charlie McMurdie, architect of the UK's Police Central E-crime Unit (PCeU), said frontline police ideally need a digital forensic tool as easy to use as the breathalyser, to help them deal with growing numbers of computers being seized during raids on suspects' homes.

McMurdie said such a tool could run on suspects' machines, identify illegal activity - such as credit card fraud or selling stolen goods online - and retrieve relevant evidence.

Read the whole story here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Interestingly, at the BCS meeting I went to where Ed Gibson (Chief MS SecurityAdviser) was talking; he commented that local police forces receive no funding for cyber crime investigation and that MS were providing free courses to those officers that were interested.
    2. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      MS cyber crime investigation courses, that would be an interesting thing to go to, would look good on the old CPD record also...

-Ken