UK banking giant de-pants irate customer over password

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Sep 1, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

How strange is this? :rolleyes:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...nt-de-pants-irate-customer-over-password.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

My first thought on this was... if the customer was so unhappy with Lloyds that his password was "lloyds is pants", why didnt he just bank somewhere else?

Then i just had to laugh, as i find the whole thing ridiculas. It really puts thier customer service to shame, when an emloyee of a trusted establishment is allowed to change a customers login details with out permission.
    I also don't believe that they "let they employee go". If this was not all in one conversation then surley they would have to let a couple of employees go? and a line manager too? I bet, in reality. that they did sod all, apart from teh token apology.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Haha, very funny read! :)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Or the employee involved has a history of doing such things and this incident was the final straw?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

I can see the funny side to this but I find it quite worrying that one person in an organisation that deals with a lot of personal customer information could have the power that he had.

Why were Lloyds checking their customers passwords in the first place? The idea is that passwords should only be known by the person creating the account, surely allowing anybody else to view a customers exact password undermines the security of the accounts completely?

Personally, I don't use telephone banking or internet banking (although I use paypal at a push) for the very reason made to look humerous in the news item - you can't trust the buggers :x

Anyway, bar humbug, and back to sucking lemons for me.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There was an incident in the UK many years ago I believe, where a guy changed his name by deed-poll to something like 'Natwest are W*nkers' so that they would have to print it on his cheque book and credit card.

Can't remember what happended...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

LOL, now, that's an idea.........:twisted:

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

OMG:ohmy that's so funny and so wrong that they can change an existing password (just because its true) to something less secure and without the customers knowledge!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+