Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Neall, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Ok folks. Ive heard alot of good things about Ubuntu on this forum and i was just wondering what all the fuss is about.

I have looked up info on the distro and have seen a few screenshots but what do you all prefer about it or think are the advantages over a distro like SuSe?

Neall

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think what makes Ubuntu good is it's ease of use in the GUI.

I had it set up and taking to one of my servers in no time, and found that configuring things was just so easy.

My only other previous experience with linux however was with Fedora, and compared to that ubuntu is just great!

Now if only I could get it to work under MS Virtual PC......

8)

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Now, I'm not a Ubuntu user, but I am a Debian user, and Ubuntu is based on Debian's "sid" release. That means it has a huge library of software. If I remember my numbers correctly that's about 18,000 software packages with the best software package management around. (Well, Phoenix will argue this as he thinks Gentoo's is better.)

From what I've heard about Ubuntu's hardware detection I think they've incorporated some of Knoppix's tricks there as Knoppix has the best hardware detection of all the Linux distro's that I know of.

So, you have good hardware detection, a huge software library, an easy-to-use gui, and very good package managment. It's a pretty attractive package. A lot of people really like it for the combination of those reasons, and because it's based on "sid" it pretty much has the latest software.

Debian's "sid" beats it at always having the latest software because with "sid" you are constantly updating, but "sid" isn't quite a stable as Ubuntu because of it. "sid" is always in a state of development. In fact that's part of what the "sid" means: still in development. It's one of those names that has double meanings. It's based on Sid from Toy Story, but the acronym does double duty.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Simon, what probs are you having with this, as my mate and I will probably be doing this or similar soon ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Regardless of what resolution I try to get it to run under it just won't display properly. :dry

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Gee...works just fine in VMware. 8)

I think MS will provide Linux support in its next version of Virtual PC. When I was shopping for virtualization software, I chose VMware over Virtual PC particularly because it did support Linux VMs. There's a reason that Virtual PC's product is cheaper. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+