Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by kat731, Aug 20, 2005.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    Just downloaded Ubuntu, pretty good so far... Didnt want to know about my Linksys Wireless PCMCIA, although a swap to an Origo one worked fine, strange!!!!
    Does any one know how i can get a serial mouse to work though, alright i couldprob just swap it to PS2, but like to know why things dont work?? This a great alternative to windows, having used Mandrake for a while, im well converted!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just wish i could use all this terminal stuff and be as adept as i am on windows!!
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Kat,

Ubuntu is good isn't it. I just wish I was that good using it I could put it on my Tosh and not have to worry about Spyware and other windows issues!
    Got a date for the N+?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

OK, converts - you got my attention. So what size download are we talking about here ? (And maybe a link to ? )

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hey Boycie!!! How r ya??

N+, Ummmmmm..... Im thinking quite a while yet, its hard to take in....Lol. You?
    Why cant ya put it on ya Tosh? I just put it on an IBM Thinkpad A20M, works great!!
    Kat

5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi Kat!
    N+ is going great! Just waiting for All in one now. Have read Sybex twice and while it is very good and matter of fact I do like the "easyness" of the Myers range.
    Would like to have done exam by now but want to really understand the concepts before going on to 70-270.

I did stick Ubuntu on my Tosh. I couldn't get the Centrino wireless to work. :rolleyes: Because i don't know enough about how device manager and drivers work I wasn't sure if it was a chipset issue as the onboard Lan was tempremental too.
    Shame really because it looks great. It is also stable and virus free :D What i have done is put it on my slave desktop hard drive. When I know more about it I will put it on my Tosh again!

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for that, Kat - it's on it's way down now :)

And thanks to Boyce for following others' advice then reporting back how you got on with it.

You am da Guys 8)

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

No prob Gav. It looks to me like a cracking OS and worth the learning curve for Newbies like me! :baby

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cheers Boyce - will load it into a VM machine ASAP.

Got it in under an hour - nice :)

Thanks Guys.

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Got the ISO down and forgot to tick "burn as image" in Nero. So the first disc was another tea coaster. :oops:

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

OK, so I have the iso downloaded and extracted to a folder, but when I point Nero at it, it doesn't recognise an image to burn. Care to elaborate, anyone ?

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well Jak, you just need to point Nero at the iso image. You don't need to extract anything.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks Nugg - think I cocked up the download, as I then went back to the original site above, and found the .iso, instead of where I previously donwloaded the Intel x96 Install CD link.

Should have maybe spent a few more minutes looking. Oh well, it's a job for tomorrow now.

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Gav, are you using express or the full options that are availible in Nero burning rom? Don't forget to tick "burn as image". :biggrin

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Dam, Nugg -you're the man ! Instead of extracting the downloaded file, I pointed Nero at it and my disk is spinning as we speak. I feel like such a muppet now. :oops:

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As you know Jak, I'll do anything for points. I'll even hand out usable advice sometimes. LOL

But really now, I'm just glad you got it working and can save your download capacity. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I kinda like Ubuntu, it has given me some insight into Linux and I am really impressed with OpenOffice and the other free applications bundled therein. However, I am a little disappointed in how slow it runs on a celleron 700 with 128MB RAM. I was under the impression that Linux was unbloated and fast but this does not appear to be the case with this distro.

So guys, any suggestions for a distro that will make this old box fly :rolleyes:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Another 384 megs of ram. :biggrin

To tell the truth I've never used Ubuntu as I stick with the original, Debian. One of the boxes I run Debian on is an 800 mhz Athlon with 512 megs of ram. It's not as fast as my 1.8 ghz AMD with Debian on it, but it's not a total dog either. I run some servers on it too such as a Samba server, a MySql database server, and an Apache server with a RUNCMS php forum that I use for learning purposes.

What are the apps that seem really slow? OO? Firefox?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  19. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

What gui are you using with Ubuntu? There are some "lighter" gui's around that don't have the bloat that KDE or Gnome has, and I find that KDE is slower than Gnome.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh good I can tell Freddy something about Linux :biggrin

Ubuntu comes with Gnome as the GUI and Kubuntu comes with KDE.

I have downloaded Simply Mepis because I read somewhere it runs faster on a slow machine, so I will play with that later today!

Cheers,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)