Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by asje1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I got a copy of Ubuntu today from work...

Installed it onto my laptop Dell 1501, seems to be a nice looking OS. However installing things etc as explained to me already is a right pain.

Ive looked at topic: http://certforums.com/forums/thread25001.html

Shame things are not so straight forward for me...

I have looked to some tips on solving why my wireless doesn't work.. Im pretty much way out of my depth on this... all the help topics show lines of script, which i don't even know how to access or what they mean at all.

I searched for some drivers, or bug solutions, I found this threadt but again, this means nothing to me.. maybe someone can translate into a more, noobie aspect.. I dont understand what 'ndiswrapper' etc etc.. or what i need to open to insert the coding shown... or do I just download the drivers shown?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/86932

Anyone else tried Ubuntu or uses it?

I think im going to invest in Ubuntu for Dummies, see what I can do playing around with it. Any advise on any programs, tips... help with the wireless setup would be great... any additional books that would be useful feel free to post.

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I tried installing it quite a while ago and it didn't work (at least for me).

You might be better off asking on the Ubuntu forums, although there are quite a few knowledgable linux guys around.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im assuming you got a 1501? Then aslo depending on which version of Ubuntu you got this might help you:

http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2008/04/overview-of-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-on.html

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

I too tried installing ubuntu recently-brought my whole system down for some reason!

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Which wireless card do you have? If it's a broadcom chip that uses the b43 module, good luck is all I can say. Broadcom wireless is very unfriendly towards open source and the Broadcom chipsets will work only in some hardware configurations. I have the 4318 chipset in my laptop, and it's been a crapshoot from day one. I never could get it to associate with an access point that used a secure setup with the bcm43xx module, and it simply doesn't work at all with the b43 module. It does on other hardware configurations, but not mine.

If you're really interested in learning Linux, and really need wireless, get yourself one of Intel's mini-PC or mini-pci cards, depending on which you have, and replace the Broadcom junk. Intel provides Linux drivers for them, and most of their drivers are included either in the kernel itself, or as installable modules from non-free, i.e. non-gpl'ed sources.

A good site to research wireless device support under Linux is the linuxwireless.org site. They have lists of linux kernel modules for wireless devices and supported chipsets.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Cheers guys.

ffreeloader, thanks, i mean im intrested in Linux, but i have loads of important things before that in my que. Thanks for the link ill check it out.

Certifications: A+, N+
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have been playing around Ubuntu on my new laptop over the last couple of days. So far I have been quite impressed with it. Some aspects of it are difficult to get working properly though and although most of the basic in built applications work ok, as soon as you start to use 3rd party stuff on there it seems to get more complicated and technical.

It's certainly come a long way compared to some of the very early Linux builds I played around with at university many years ago. Just getting a working x windows setup working with my graphics card at the time took me many hours of fiddling.

My opinion of it at the moment is cool / frustrating in equal measure.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

What 3rd party software are you referring to? You do know that you can enable repositories that include proprietary software don't you? The following link explains how to do it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyPackages

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1